2001 seadoo gti (717) quick help

Ajs

What is the cable attached to the spring located under the carb and manifold on a 2001 seadoo 717? Mine came detached and was wondering what it is/ how to put it back together. I have attached an image as to what I’m talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_2535.jpeg
    IMG_2535.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 11
If this is an actual picture of your machine the cable for the oil pump is unhooked, rotate the oil pump arm Clockwise ( I believe ) against the spring Tension anyways. There’s a little slot in the size of the arm to slide the oil pump cable in, make sure you Mark’s on the oil pump lever and pump body are lines up and make sure the pump operates properly when the throttle is pushed. Also, those look like original oil lines, should probably change those before one cracks and causes engine failure

I just replaced my carb on my 2001 seadoo gti 717. After I finished I started the boat and it seemed like it was doing fine. After I turned it off I can’t get it to start again. For some reason the motor will not turn over while the spark plugs are in, yet it turns over fine when they are out. Any ideas and fixes for this?

Put a volt meter on the battery while cranking, sounds like a possible bad battery. If volts go below 10.5 while cranking, I think you would need a new battery

I thought of that, so I was using a jump pack. Also, there is a noise coming from the electric box in the back like a fast paced clicking noise

I’m really not sure what to do. It does seem like it’s a dead battery but I am using a jump pack.

If a battery has a bad cell or plate it won’t work properly even with a jump
Pack, I would mesure the volts while cranking to start, also maybe check your grounds and ground cable, Try homing the ground cable. Was it ever a salt water ski? From what I read they can be a nightmare for corrosion

No, only fresh water. It looks like it drops below 10 while trying to crank.
I’m pretty sure that’s no good, if you want to be sure you could take it to your local auto parts store and they will test it for free. If your looking for a good battery, I have 9 years on an Interstate and still going.

I don’t know exactly which electrical components It is but it can damage something electrical , maybe the MPEM,

For some reason using a jump pack or jumping from a running vehicle has proven to fry the MPEM which is the ignition computer. There is even a sticker on the hull that says, "Do Not Boost".

So I got the new battery in and hooked everything back up, and I was able to start the boat. But now for some reason it would only start if I was holding the throttle wide open, and once it got running it sounded fine. Choke seemed to not help when starting it. Not sure why. I didn’t try to idle it cause I was on land and didn’t want to overheat it. Could the new carb need adjusting?

yeah, you should have checked to make sure the jets and the pop off is correct and make sure the low speed and high speed screws are at the correct setting

Also make sure the needle and seat are the correct size.
You can set the idle on land, it won't overheat inless than a minute.

I have set everything on the carb to how the book says, but for whatever the reason, the boat won’t start without the throttle being wide open (no matter where the choke is), and when on the water it wouldn’t get over 30. Also. When it is running, it will not idle at all Any ideas what to do next?

Last edited:
I have the motor running right now. But the seadoo still doesn’t get up and go. It’s slow to start and loses power in the turns. Wear ring? Any ideas?

Update on the seadoo:
Took it back out in the water to run it more. And it was acting weird at first. It would stay under the 30 mph mark but then after a while of going at that speed the boat seemed to find more power and would get up to 40. Well my throttle cable started sticking open at the carb (not sure why). And after running at 40 for a while, I saw my speed needle drop to zero and a second later the boat just died. It had no power at all. Wouldn’t even beep with the key being put in. Back on land I notice one of the yellow “5” fuse was blown. Any ideas to my issues?

You could be in the bad voltage regulator territory or bad stator.
Replace the fuse and if you can get it running on the trailer see what the battery voltage is at rest, at idle and at 4,500 rpm and report back.

Back