2001 Mercury 240 EFI M2 Sport Jet Idle Stabilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of adjusting the timing on my 2001 SeaDoo Challenger with a 240 EFI M2 Sport Jet (serial number 0E386367). I am following the manual step by step and I am currently on the step for idle timing that reads the following:

"Disconnect WHITE/BLACK lead from idle stabilizer box at bullet connector. Disconnect ECU harness for ignition timing procedure."

I have searched all over and I cannot located the WHITE/BLACK lead or idle stabilizer box. I've spent hours searching the forums and haven't found much info. My question is, is this boat equiped with an idle stabilizer box or should I bypass this step?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi, I just set the timing on my engine (same engine/same boat) a couple days ago. I too, scoured the web for reference to this 'idle stabilizer' box. Best I could figure, it was a copy-paste from a Mercury outboard service manual into our Mercury 240 Sport Jet service manual... and doesn't apply.

We do have a Rev limiter box... sits atop the Ignition Control Module box... but it will cut spark at the rev limiter... I don't believe it alters timing at all. There are 'idle stabilizer' boxes used on the outboard versions... where I believe this snippet of text in the manual came from.

What I did, I did disconnect the Rev limit box wire that connects to a white/black wire (on the harness) (other wires are the Blk/Yel... for killing spark) and I also disconnected the large, round ECU harness plug. Then I set the idle timing (6deg BTDC) and full-throttle timing (26deg BTDC) as described in the manual with spark plugs #2-#6 out, and timing light on #1 spark plug (still installed) while cranking (no start) (lift pump red wire unhooked, and VST pump red wire unhooked... so no fuel flow while cranking) with a well charged battery. Worked for me. My engine runs well.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back