2001 LRV overheating ..... 947 carb motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stauter

unit overheats on hose or in the water. We pulled the inlet hose at the elbow going into the head and its clear back to the water pickup. We tried cleaning out the elbow without removing it but can't seem to pass anything thru it.

Next we hooked up the flush attachment, started the unit, turned on the water, any only tiny drops were coming out of the elbow while we still had the hose off. we did have good water pressure flowing from the flush attachment while running.

any trick to cleaning out the elbow or other possible blockage I should be looking for? should I be able to easily slide one of the red plastic straws off of WD40 can into and out of the elbow?

BTW... can't remove the elbow without removing a motor mount or pulling the head because of its position in relation to the mount.

Thanks
Craig

Post....

I see your post has gone un-answered, so I'll jump in....
The best way to clean out your water jacket is to remove the system. It's probably going to be where the water crosses into the exhaust system, where it's used as a preheater before entering the engine block. I know it's a pain in the butt, but if it was used in salt water and has a history of not being flushed after each use, the sodium chloride (salt) will leach out and cling to the casting like a magnet when it is being preheated.
This is where I'd start first. If you find that it is clean, then as much as I hate saying it, I'd pull the heads and have a look inside the water jacket between the cylinders. In the bottom of the cylinders, there are holes for the water to circulate back up into that top cover and through the outlet. Once the heads are removed, then you'll see how much sand and salt is deposited in this cooling water jacket.
If you just want to get a look at what the deposits are like in the water jacket, have a gasket set available and pop the head cover. Then, you'll be able to hook up your water source to directly to the exhaust side, "EASE" on the water and see what kind of flow you have in your jacket. Care has to be taken here because the water can overflow into your cylinders. Bring both pistons to mid stroke so you can stuff rags in them to soak up any that may leak into the pistons.........
You have a manual, you'll be able to torque according to the chart.....
Good luck!.............:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back