2001 GTX RFI Oil Pump Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIDRIFTR

Hello, my name is Mike and from Alabama. I am new to the forum. I have this problem that I would like to hear an opinion on from the folks that know. My 2001 GTX RFI has been a great ski and has given no problems until firing it up for this year. Bought it used a couple of years ago with 53 hours showing and now still only has 90.6 I think it is. I went to fire it up and found quite a " generous " amount oil in cylinders, thanks a lot. Yep, wouldn't turn over for squat. Pulled the spark plugs and finally after working all day on it this past Saturday, got all the oil out and ski cleaned up in engine compartment. I was beating a dead horse though until I disconnected the fuel pump, cranked on it some more and then finally was able to crank the engine over with both plugs in. I guess I was flooding the cylinders with fuel. Thank goodness, it ran great Memorial Day and has fired up ever since when I go to start it.
I have went through some of the postings on this forum (and thankful for it) and seen the writings about the crank seals and acknowledge that one day, its a coming that I got to replace whats needed. But for now, I want to try a shut off valve on the supply hose to block from the oil tank.

I talked to a local Mechanic that I have known that works on PW and he told me that more than likely it was the seals, but that he has heard that the Oil Pump has a Check Valve that can go bad which allows the oil to leak into the engine. The theory being that the oil tank is up higher than the oil pump, thus just the weight of the oil would push its way through to the block and flood the crankcase. He recommended me to remove the oil lines from the intake nipple's and lay them in a cup and see if cup fills up overnight. Problem is, it starts the next morning so I know its not totally flooding the cylinders you know, cause it starts right up.

Could this be possible on my 782 GTX RFI. Thanks in advance for any feedback, I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, first, it is common as these engines age that the seals that keep the oil in the center bearing cavity begin to leak slowly over time. If your ski has sat all winter and now has oil in the cylinders, I wouldn't get too alarmed. if you last ran it a few days ago, i would worry.

You can install a valve in the center cavity feed line to allow you to cut off the supply when you park it for a while, or you can put a hose pincher on the line.

you also mentioned that you had to disconnect the fuel pump to get it to turn over with the plugs in, was there so much fuel that it was hydrolocking? if so your injectors might be leaking, but more likely you didn't get all of the oil out of the crankcase and when the throttle opened it sucked more up into the cylinders. when cranking with the plugs out, you need to open the throttle wide open so it acts like a pump, pushing the oil from the case up through the cylinders.

I wouldn't worry about the oil injector causing the oil flooding. This is the first I have seen this response and find it very unlikely.

As Strizzo said it is from your crank seals and not uncommon from sitting all winter and chances are now that it is cleaned out you will probably not ave another issue until next summer.

Hey thanks for your input. I just learned something Strizzo. I never once cracked open the throttle so that was one mistake. I will now keep that info right up here (pointing to head). Its all up there you know . . .
Yeah, when I was cranking the engine over with plugs out, after awhile I thought it would clear out, but kept noticing that their was a mist of something coming out instead of just liquid lube. I slept on it and the next morning I went into garage with the idea of disconnecting the injectors and whiz it over and see what happens. When I went to unplug them, I couldn't get my hands in the right position easily to unplug them. Thats when I disconnected the fuel pump and cranked the engine over with plugs still out, and noticed not quite as much of that mist. Slammed the plugs in, gave it a go, and she fired right up and smoked like a tar kettle.

I wouldn't worry about the oil injector causing the oil flooding. This is the first I have seen this response and find it very unlikely.

As Strizzo said it is from your crank seals and not uncommon from sitting all winter and chances are now that it is cleaned out you will probably not ave another issue until next summer.

Well and I haven't read anything about an oil pump check valve issue anywhere on this forum, not saying its not out there, but it definitely isn't a popular issue. Well I hear you mikidymac. Maybe I can make it through the summer then I will try the shut off valve trick and see how it all pans out. Thanks for your take on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back