2001 GTX RFI Fuel Injector removal

RussellC

Hi everyone, I have been a member for less than a year and this is my first post. I have 2 2001 Seadoo GTX RFI’s that I purchased used in 2004. Started having issues in 2019 so they have been sitting in the garage for 5 years. I decided to get them running again about 6 months ago. Thanks to all the great information everyone has shared on this forum, I have been able to fix multiple problems and they are both running again. Replaced fuel pump, leaking oil tank and filter, replaced regulator and rebuilt jet pumps. I am still having issues with one of them and need help. It ran great but after an hour it started cutting out and then wouldn’t start. I decided to replace spark plugs and it ran great for an hour before fouling plugs again. I’m thinking this is a fuel delivery problem so want to remove the injectors to clean or replace. Can anyone tell me how to remove the injector’s? They are located under the head and very difficult to get to. Thanks

There are 2 bolts there with 10mm heads. Use a small ratchet with a 6point socket to undo these. They are perpendicular to the cylinders and hold the fuel rail in place.
As soon as the fuel rail is free, the injectors should be free.
Here’s something else too: the connectors for the injectors and the power valve solenoid are identical and all three are very close to each other on the harness. If they get switched you will starve the engine during idle and flood it as soon as it gets up to rpm.
Check wire colors vs diagram to make sure its all correct.
Stuck power valves could also be causing issues with fouling.
But. Get the injectors and rail out, clean it all good, preferably have a shop flush them. Then get it all back together and try again….

Thanks Gritzlor, very helpful info. I think you are correct about stuck power valve. I was able to get the fuel rail off and removed the injectors. I removed the injector filters cleaned and replaced. I then flushed the injectors with cleaner. The spray was somewhat spermatic but improved as they were flushed. Reinstalled the injectors and installed new spark plugs. It idles and runs great now. I ran it for more than 30 minutes today with no issues. Top spread 58 mph which is not bad for a 23 year old GTX RFI Seadoo:)
Thank again to everyone for all the great info on this forum. Couldn’t find anyone on Lake Hartwell that would work on them so decided to fix them myself so I can take grandkids for a ride and they love it.

That’s awesome to hear, kudos on you posting the results too, it closes the loop and helps the community.
58 is better than any RFI I’ve ever run so it seems like you’re in good shape.
Now keep an eye out for any leaks and weird noises, that way you can catch a lot of things before they become problems…

Back