2001 GTX DI

ChuckL333

Recently came to own a 2001 Seadoo GTX DI and I'm having problems with it under a load. So far the only thing I've done is pull the RAVE valve. The valve itself seemed to move freely, however it was completely covered in black oil and caked on soot. I have not taken it on the water since cleaning the valve.

Anyways.. here are my symptoms.

1. Starts and idles great.
2. Revs fine through all RPMS on trailer.
3. Will cruise around 5 MPH with throttle just above idle.
3. Bogs under load when going from idle. Feels like it keeps revving up and hitting the limiter. Kind of like it's stuttering.
4. Once I've reached 10-15 miles an hour it turns into a completely different machine. No bogging. No stuttering. Full RPMS and easily goes over 50MPH and gets there quick. There is no transition phase. It's either sluggish or flying. As long as I maintain a decent speed I can ride all day with full power. Slow back down and I have to milk it back to the transition point.

I'm unable to get it to run well at all with me and anyone else on the machine. Riding solo I can get it to take off after being easy on the throttle. My wife is half my weight and it runs even better for her.

I'm new to PWC's.. Where do I start on this machine? I do enjoy tinkering.

You say it keeps revving up and hitting the limiter when you try to accelerate from idle. So the engine seems to be performing fine? If so, you may want to check your wear ring in the jet pump. When they fail, the engine revs but you dont get any "push", almost like a slipping transmission.

You say it keeps revving up and hitting the limiter when you try to accelerate from idle. So the engine seems to be performing fine? If so, you may want to check your wear ring in the jet pump. When they fail, the engine revs but you dont get any "push", almost like a slipping transmission.

I think your on to something! Guys I work with told me today to climb under and take a look so I did. I'm guessing seeing that much of a gap isn't good.. when I grab the prop it does have a little play up and down, not sure if that's normal.

I've attached a photo, hopefully someone can tell me if my wear ring is shot.

Had the it on the lake today for about an hour and once it planed out it ran great. Slow down and would have a hard time getting it up and going again. Full throttle is was comfortably sitting around 5800-6200 RPM.

Attachments

• 20240717_160252.jpg
    20240717_160252.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 4
Back