2001 GTI 717 Issues, Just purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XARiUS

I have found some Awesome help on here before and still and in debt of gratitude to Dr. Honda for helping me with my project last year on my 95 XP. I got that ski running fantastic. So good in fact i figured I could do it again, so i went and purchased a 2001 GTI that was supposedlly blow up, (148 psi per cyl) but I still cant get it to fire, I cleaned the Carbs changed the fuel, drained the oil, everything simple i could think of. The only result i got is the engine will fire for about 1.5 sec, spudder and stall with a lot of smoke. I noticed a bit of gas/oil coming out of the air intake hole in the carb, and also checked to make sure I have spark, which I do but it seems very weak to me. I broke off the boot while trying to twist off the boot so now I wrapped the wires around the plugs until I can find some new boots. This motor has not ran since 08?.

Why do I have this oil/gas mixture shooting out of the carb?

Should I be getting better spark?

What was I thinkin? lol... any input would be greatly appericated.

Easy fix or not? I have already started to take the carb off, to check that out, do you think the gasket is bad for that also? what about the spark? i just found out the boots pop off and have a pin inside of them so i trimmed like 1/4 off and it seems to run a little better but died right out, plugs are covered in oil

It may be a rv gear that went bad.
Do it making a whirling sound when you try to start it.

Otherwise take off intake cover. It four bolts. One on ea corner.
Then take sparg plugs out.
Flip one over and put it inside MAG cyl (front). Spin PTO and watch spark plug move up to find top dead center.
Then check to see if rv plate looks like this??

images.jpeg

Trying this now. got 2 of the 4 off, trying to not pull the motor, that will send me on another trip to see dr.honda

Well, i figured out that the spindle that is inside of there is not spinning at all times with the motor, must have some worn out teeth, i take it that requires a tear down and rebuild?

Well, i figured out that the spindle that is inside of there is not spinning at all times with the motor, must have some worn out teeth, i take it that requires a tear down and rebuild?

Take engine out and go see DR.
You could take rv gear out with out spliting cases but it would be advised.

heres whata bad one looks like. Guy had bolt drop down carb with engine on
:banghead:

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?61578-92-gtx-major-or-minor-problem-Please-help!!!

I got the motor out and plan on splitting it tomorrow, i'll need the dr to align the pump i believe thats necessary everytime you remove motor from hull? it turns half and then stops so im thinking the brass teeth on the RV is toast and not the one on the crank. I'll know more tomorrow.

make sure u look at the crank gear,it should be in the middle of the 2 center seals.i have had 2 engines lock up the rotary shaft,and the crank gear slid on them both.

Do i have to take off the top end too?

Can I get into the bottom end without ripping the top end off? I noticed the bolts and Allen keys on the bottom of the motor, was curious if it was that easy or am i going to have to rip of the PTO and mag, cylinders and pistons, the whole 9 yards?

If i do, oh well, guess i'll order the gasket kit now. Anyone know a good one to get so I wont have to chase down rings and seals when i go put this back together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back