2001 Challenger RH reverse bucket cracked, replacements scarce

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlebauer

A trailer shop cracked the RH reverse bucket on my 2001 Challenger 5699, the dual 717 powered 15' model. It's commonly listed as PN 204170148 (old PN 204170055).

I'm having trouble finding them. Most parts sites show out of stock. But there are plenty of the LH units, PN 271000947, which is also the unit used on GTI & GTX skis.

They look to be nearly the same, with an extra hole on the right arm of the LH, and notch on the left arm of the RH. Could I get a LH unit and modify it to work?
Reverse buckets.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1) The shop should replace the part at no cost to you
2) That part is nice to have, but not required
3) You can fix that part rather than replacing it

1) The shop should replace the part at no cost to you
2) That part is nice to have, but not required
3) You can fix that part rather than replacing it

Thanks for the rapid reply!
1) The trailer shop said they'd reimburse the part cost, but first I have to find one
2) You mean the exact PN isn't necessary on the RH side, I could use the LH?
That's what I was hoping to try.

Or I don't need the reverse bucket? You're right, but then my reverse and neutral would only work on the LH side. They broke it, as you said, they should restore the boat to how it was.

3) I could try to glue it together, but wouldn't it break again easily?

Steps, that I would take:

1) Call 3 different Seadoo Dealers, and ask them all to email you a quote for having that part of the drive system inspected by a Seadoo Mechanic, and the cost to have them install that replacement part including parts and labor. Of the 3 dealers you contact, one will be much higher than the other two quotes. Take that higher quote and submit it to the shop that is paying you for the repair costs.

2) Collect your golden nugget of cash. Not only do you profit greatly from it, but you are being paid to fiddle with a jet drive on a sweet ass boat. Good times.

3)Fix it for super cheap. You could build metal plates that go on either side, and then get bolted together which would be easy (Drilling holes required). You could use a lot of fiberglass resin and glass mat to patch it up, which if done properly would be VERY strong, or you could soak the entire area in JB Quick, which might work.

4) Have you considered collecting the $500 sum odd dollars for the repair quote, and then just running it the way it is? It might not effect the reverse much at all with that broken off chunk missing.

5) Remember that they are required to compensate you for ALL expenses. If you use that boat to get you to work, then they have to pay the cost of a rental boat for the two days of estimated boat repair time the shop would have needed if your boat was in the shop. That means you can legally and morally collect the cost of ALL expenses of that mishap, including labor, diagnostic time, etc. Most people don't realize how much insurance will pay for, or how much the responsible party is obligated to pay for in a fair settlement of the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back