2000 GTX only pulling 6600 rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotax951

Hi all,

Just bought a 2000 GTX with 201 hrs. Went through the entire fuel system, removed carbs, cleaned and pressure tested and pop off pressure checked. All good and appears to be well maintained. Removed and checked condition of pump and impeller. Clearance is well within spec which verifys po's claim of new impeller and wear ring with 8 hrs use before storing machine.
Water test shows 51.5 mph @ 6600 GPS on light ripples, 200 lb rider full fuel, temp 75* ,200 ft asl. Return pass was 50.5 mph @ 6570 rpm.
Slightly rich at slow speeds and after a 15 min. tour at idle through a no wake zone it took about 30 secs. to clean out at full throttle.
Machine is completely stock and high speed needle is closed , low speed needle set at 1.5 turns out as per BRP manual.
It starts immediately hot or cold and has a new battery.
Didnt have an opportunity to check plugs immediately after the full speed test but after the entire 2 hour session of moderate riding the plugs were dark tan with the pto plug appearing to have a little bit of oily goo on one side of the porceline below the center electrode.
Compression test shows equal at 120 psi warm. Takes about 5 seconds to pump up to that and when I compare it to my stock snowmobile 2 stroke engine it seems to take awhile to pump up. Rather than 3 or 4 strokes to reach max it takes comes up about 10 psi per stroke. This may be normal for a 6:1 compression PWC compared to a 9:1 sled.
I am waiting for gaskets so I have not looked at the cylinders yet or rave valves.
Under normal circumstances is a re-ring the normal course of action if the cylinders are in spec or is it better to just bore and go to an oversize piston?

Do these 951's tend to run rich in the bottom end when set at the stock settings or is there some tricks you experienced tuners use to get them running crisp ?
Am I correct in assuming I am 6 or 7 mph shy of a well tuned stock 951 carb GTX?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back