2000 GTI no spark & starter cycles on/off

Status
Not open for further replies.

MxRacer965

Hi all, hoping I can pick so,e brains for assistance!

Wonderful weekend here in W. MI for my ski to bite the dust, it’s 90 for once on Memorial Day weekend and I can’t tow the kids on the tube...

Anyway, I think I posted here once last summer about an issue I was having with my 2000 GTI (717/720 motor) but never nailed down an intermittent issue that appears permanent now. Last summer it would only appear after extended operation. Yesterday I was out towing a couple kids when the ski started cutting out (electrically), speedo quickly bouncing around, followed by ski quitting. It did this last summer as well so I bought a new AGM battery, and swapped the rectifier to no avail (original rectifier still in, spare on shelf now). The problem would come back now and then but the ski always started back up and would run, especially if it cooled down. Yesterday it refused to start back up. Good I can finally resolve the issue now that it’s permanent...bad that it won’t run.

Right now the ski will beep 2x when I put the key on as it should. When I hit the start/stop button it will turn over a couple time and stop, then turn over a couple times and stop...repeat. If I pull the plugs out it will crank mostly uninterrupted but occasionally stops.

No spark. Pulled plug boots and tried the wires directly. Once in a blue moon I may have seen a spark but it coincided with the engine stopping turning over. Clipped 1/4” off the wires and put the boots back on. Still no go of course.

Checked white wire suppling coil, no voltage AC or DC.

Charged battery to full. No difference in starter behavior. Changed battery to a new AGM battery. No difference.

Pulled battery ground cable and checked continuity. All good.

Pulled ground wire from stator cover and checked continuity back to coil (and thus everywhere else). All good.

Basically went through the entire ground system and have continuity so ground doesn’t appear to be it.

12.5v to MPEM. All fuses good. 12.5v to starter solenoid. If I use a screwdriver to provide continuity across the starter relay the ski will turn over uninterrupted.

I checked resistance at charging coil (yellow wires) and found no resistance...indicates short to manual.

I checked the red\black wires from the remaining coils and found infinite resistance.

So...bad stator? Do all the symptoms I’ve described and troubleshooting point to that or bad MPEM?

I have of course now been leaning stator since it has a mechanical component to it and since the failures seem to be heat (expansion via heat causing failure?) related. I figure a bad MPEM is going to simply work or not work....

Anything else I missed? Other ideas?

Thanks I’m advance!

Well...just in case anyone else runs into this thread in the future I'll share the results.

I don't have the time to pull it apart and setting the timing appears to require specific tools so I just decided to bring it to the Seadoo dealer in Grandville, MI (Fox Powersports). They also diagnosed a bad stator and approximately $700 for the repair. I gave them the OK to do it 2 days ago and expect it back this weekend or next week. If I don't reply to this thread again and anyone stumbles on to it, that is where the story ends and my problem was solved. If there is more to the saga I'll update in hopes others find it helpful in the future.

That is a lot of money but I can understand not wanting to do it yourself and just wanting it done. I wish you luck and let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back