1st Time on the Water this year. Died on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZRX Guy

Keep the boat started time to time in the winter. Just about a 30 sec run. Started good before we went out to the lake. Battery all charged up, tank full all winter with treatment in it. The good gas to. Started out at idle to get past the first buoy. Gave it some gas and within a few seconds sputtered. Seems it went to 1 cyl then died. Paddled back to the dock. Came home. Pulled plugs...good shape and not wet. Pulled fuel line and purged about 2 cups. Put back together and sputtered some more and finally died.

Seems it did this last year, but I worked through it and ran good for the rest of the summer. This time I'm not so lucky. Some how I'm thinking there is some gunk in the fuel rail and it made it to the injectors. Boat stays tilted up all winter. Get it in the water and things move around. Anybody every have to pull the rail and clean out the injectors before because of some unforseen gunk that got in the rail/injectors?

Change your plugs. You can't tell much from just looking at them.

It is helpful to know what year and model you are referring to.

2008 Speedster. Plugs have about 20 hours on them. I can give it a shot of starting fluid and it'll fire up for a few seconds then dies. If plugs can go that fast in those things with no apparent wear, they must be pretty unstable. I use NGK, and as a rule for me, they can last 50,000 plus miles. I'll give it a try.

3 cyl Rotax

So I pull the injectors and tap them on a paper towel. There was some tiny specs that came out of each of them. Sprayed some stating fluid in them and gave them a light blow out. I put a hose on the fuel line and put it in a bottle. Hit the DSS? the key? to activate the fuel pump. I did get a tiny bit of debris in the jar, but I'd have to be totally honest, it may have come out the line I hooked up. Just not sure.

So another question: When I activate the "key/system", the pump comes on as expected, but shuts off in about 3 seconds running into a bottle. There is an assumption that it will keep flowing because of no back pressure. On the other hand, is it a fail safe that it cut off if it doesn't guage fuel pressure in the event the line breaks and doesn't start a time bomb in the bilge? I wanna drain the tank, and pull the pump. At the moment....I assumed the pump would continue and it doesn't. Is there another issue? or do I have to drain the tank the old fassion way......siphon it out?

Last edited:
So far on 3 trips out to the lake, it seems to have been the fuel injectors. Pulled them, cleaned them up and saw a little crud come out of them, then sprayed down the fuel rail. Grayish looking stuff came out of it. Ran great. Gonna have the fuel filter changed by the shop. Last person in there looks like they used a lot of Permatex on the gasket and I don't want to fool with it. Might think over a secondary in line filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back