1999 Sea doo GTXRFI - Gear cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vassago

Hello all,

I recently took my jet ski out for a spin, and when we got to where we were going, i put it in reverse, but when i changed it back to forward, the it stayed in reverse. i opened it up last night and found that the cable that changes the gears has snapped.

i want to replace it myself, but i don't know how to remove it completely without doing any damage. any tips?

Well, I looked in the library of shop manuals available on the site and it gets detailed to replace the cable. There is like 10 pages of pictures and procedures. It's not real complicated but you need to go step by step.There isn't enought room on the post's to re-type all the info that's involved. I would recomend that if you want to replace the cable yourself and save a bunch of labor that you join as a premium member and print off the pages you need to do the job right. If you click on the link at the top of the page under seadoo manuals it will give you the details of the membership. It's like $10.95, and you can down load the manual in a pdf file and print off the pages you need. You can view or print any manual in the library once your a premium member. These are seadoo factory shop manuals with diagrams, trouble shooting, torque specks, pictures and proper procedures, like the cable replacement. I have searched all over for a manual and haven't found a better deal anywhere. If you have any other problems or questions with the cable project let us know and we'll be happy to help out, if you get in a jam.
Karl

Help?

It is wise to have the manual but if you do try to do this by analytical common sense, let us know where you get stuck. Give us the description of where you get stuck and we'll try and find an answer. Remember, don't force it, fix it.

Some Advice

After you get the cable out make sure the ends are OK and can be reused. They do not come with the new cable and must be transfered over if usable.
The ends are not the same and have different part numbers. Knowing this ahead of time will save you from multiple trips to get parts. This transfering of ends also applies to steering cables. Thanks, Dennis

Before you start the replacement, I would get the new cable and compare them before you start...being careful to not destroy what you might need on the new install. The manual has a detailed description to adjust the reverse gate section after it's installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back