1999 Sea-Doo GTX-RFI high rev

Johnnymesa

I just bought 2 1999 Sea doo gtx rfi skis. Took them out on maiden voyage this weekend. One ran great. But the other... well.
No problems starting. Did not get the double beep though? Trolling speed no problem. but when I tried to get going it would rev up pretty loud but no more thrust like I had stepped on the clutch. I could back off and it would catch trolling speed again. At one point I gave almost full throttle and after a second or two I could feel it start to pull then I was off to the races. I could back off the throttle to a slower speed as long as I didnt stop I didnt have to "reload" to get going again. I did hear some noise bouncing around at idle but i also found a lost screwdriver in the compartment when I got home.

This is my first jet ski so I dont know much. I do like to tinker. From reading the posts I was thinking about doing the wear ring, jet pump and impeller shaft refresh/rebuild, but not sure if Im on the right track.

Any ideas?

I just bought 2 1999 Sea doo gtx rfi skis. Took them out on maiden voyage this weekend. One ran great. But the other... well.
No problems starting. Did not get the double beep though? Trolling speed no problem. but when I tried to get going it would rev up pretty loud but no more thrust like I had stepped on the clutch. I could back off and it would catch trolling speed again. At one point I gave almost full throttle and after a second or two I could feel it start to pull then I was off to the races. I could back off the throttle to a slower speed as long as I didnt stop I didnt have to "reload" to get going again. I did hear some noise bouncing around at idle but i also found a lost screwdriver in the compartment when I got home.

This is my first jet ski so I dont know much. I do like to tinker. From reading the posts I was thinking about doing the wear ring, jet pump and impeller shaft refresh/rebuild, but not sure if Im on the right track.

Any ideas?
I think your on your on the right track, your saying the engine is running good, rpms are good but it’s like a slipping transmission? If that’s correct then your right to look at your wear ring, propeller and maybe drive shaft splines.

I would run it on the trailers with the seats off and watch the drive shaft, rev it up and see if you get a good response with drive shaft rotation! Just don't leave it running for too long, it builds heat quickly...no more than 20 secs or so. If you do get good response I would check your wear ring and see if it is good. There are free manuals online (maintenance and parts) too, get those and start reading.

Thank you all for the imput. I replaced pretty much the entire propulsion system. Worked so much better.

I think I should have mentioned the ski that had the problems, the plug was out and I flooded the compartment. Never ran the ski before hence the post. And replacement

Well I forgot to put the plugs back in on both skis this ugh! The ski I just fixed had battery issues or now thinking the electrical box issue because it wouldn’t start.

after draining the skis at the lake and the one wouldn’t start. We decided to go tandem on the other. But that one is acting the same as the one with the high rev, that started this post that I had also flooded the first time. Is it just a coincidence or is there something to do with flooding the engine that makes the Sea-Doo do this hard rev?

There’s something I need to do besides getting all the water out drying everything after flooding an engine. Both passed the battery.

Back