1999 GSX RFI

Gingi017

Hello all, I just bought this gsx rfi and wanted to see if anyone with experience with them had anything i should look out for , generally speaking. Also ,if there’s any tips to improve any flaws it has , I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpeg
    IMG_0306.jpeg
    596.4 KB · Views: 6
Well thing is about them is there good when they work good but when you have problems it is normal not easy and expensive. They don’t like to be run wide open for a long time. Make sure you run the correct/ stroke oil also the voltage regulators or know it fail so if start to have problems that’s the first thing to check. If it runs good I would recommend selling it and buying a carb version of that ski. Very good ski more reliable in my opinion cheaper to fix but it’s up to you good luck with what ever you decide.

My advise, get your maintenance manual(free online) and go over it. Most of the time problems occur because of failure to properly maintain the ski. I don't know if this is your first or if you are experienced with them but:
1. don't ever jump the ski with a car or put a jumper pack on them, it will kill the electronics.
2. know how to flush them with water: crank ski, turn on water, turn off water , stop ski
3. Don't run them out of the water for more than 20 to 30 sec at most. IMO The water cools down moving parts
4. Buy OEM whenever possible, aftermarket electronics or anything with a seal are terrible.
5. RFIs seem to have the most problems with fuel pressure/air pressure and injectors. Know the signs and do maintenance.

Change the fuel filters.

Well thing is about them is there good when they work good but when you have problems it is normal not easy and expensive. They don’t like to be run wide open for a long time. Make sure you run the correct/ stroke oil also the voltage regulators or know it fail so if start to have problems that’s the first thing to check. If it runs good I would recommend selling it and buying a carb version of that ski. Very good ski more reliable in my opinion cheaper to fix but it’s up to you good luck with what ever you decide.
Thank you very much. I been kinda seeing rfis aren’t the most wanted. It was a steal and I like the challenge. But I will take you’re advise Thank you. Also, could you swap a carb on it ?

My advise, get your maintenance manual(free online) and go over it. Most of the time problems occur because of failure to properly maintain the ski. I don't know if this is your first or if you are experienced with them but:
1. don't ever jump the ski with a car or put a jumper pack on them, it will kill the electronics.
2. know how to flush them with water: crank ski, turn on water, turn off water , stop ski
3. Don't run them out of the water for more than 20 to 30 sec at most. IMO The water cools down moving parts
4. Buy OEM whenever possible, aftermarket electronics or anything with a seal are terrible.
5. RFIs seem to have the most problems with fuel pressure/air pressure and injectors. Know the signs and do maintenance.
Thank you. Im pretty experienced with skis , but never too experienced to learn more and different techniques to from other people. I’ve owned a few GS with 717s and a gsx ltd. This is my first 787.

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpeg
    IMG_0333.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7591.jpeg
    IMG_7591.jpeg
    983.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Thank you very much. I been kinda seeing rfis aren’t the most wanted. It was a steal and I like the challenge. But I will take you’re advise Thank you. Also, could you swap a carb on it ?
hey best of luck to you. You could swap it to carb but it would be alot of money and work without having the parts on hand. You would probably be better off leaving it rfi

Back