1999 GSX Limited Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvanek

about a year ago i decided to pick up my 3rd GSX Limited because i absolutely love this ski.

last summer i had an issue with it opening up into the power band, and after talking to a mechanic, they said the pulse was low on the motor and it needed a rebuild because main crank bearing was bad. said ok, $1500 later had a new motor. i took ski out had some trouble, took it back guy said jet pump is shot you need a new one, $500 more. took it out and still ran like crap. the guy gave me a run around and i said listen this is not my first ski, specifically this ski, and essentially called out his bs.

well i just let it sit this winter as i didn't want to deal with the headache and was very upset. so this spring i take it to a new guy, said go over it, its not running right figure out what is wrong.

He found the "new jet pump" the other guy put on was toast, and i mean shot. the carbs had some issues so i got a new set of carbs, new rebuild kit, and also flame arrestors and ditched the crappy air box.

after getting it back from him it ran ok when we did water test, he adjusted carbs and it ran great.

however after about 10mins of riding i start to loose the power band, it goes in and out (jumping from 5k-7k). then slowly just starts to bog down and loose power.

almost like she is running fine cold then once heating up saying screw off.

i do have water flow out the 2 back holes from the exhaust.

my new mechanic said i may have a blockage in the head and need a rebuilt head for around $500.

i just got home and decided to do a compression test. it shows 110psi on both cylinders. this should have 130psi or more for being a motor with 10 hours on it correct?

trying to decide to i have a new motor put in again for 2nd year in a row and maybe this other guy did a horrible job on the rebuild?

looking for some advice on this thing before i say spend more $$ getting a little frusterated i have had the ski for 18months and seen 1 month of ride time and spent over $3500 in repairs and it still is not right yet :(

thanks in advance guys

First off you should be going to small claims court after the first mechanic.
2nd you need that "crappy" air box on a 951. Not only will it protect the engine from water ingestion but the carbs will not function properly without the high vacuum that the factory air box creates.
3rd there is no head to rebuild on a 2-stroke ski. It is a simple piece of aluminum that covers the combustion chamber and there is nothing to cause a "blockage". They are less than $100 for a good used one and yours is probably fine.

I am suspect of your 2nd mechanic now after the rebuilt head comment.

Yes, for a 951 130 psi is perfect, 120 is ok and 110 is tired and time to be rebuilt.

instead of the airbox he put on riva flame arrestors?

mechanic 1 lost the airbox, when i asked #2 for an airbox he said the arrestors were a better route.

so it looks like i just need a new motor that #1 didnt rebuild it correctly since it has 15hrs on it max,

i am suspect of #2 also however there i have had zero luck in finding another mechanic in the area to try out :(

Sabrtoothsqrl here is trying to get rid of the stock airbox so he can hook you up.
The 951's are the most sensitive ski ever made to water ingestion so you need the stock system. Also like I said you need the high vacuum of the stock airbox for this ski to run correctly.
The RIVA air cleaners were not the way to go.

I do have 951 parts... If you were in PA, I'd rebuild it for fun, but only over the winter...

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?84045-Parts-overstock-any-offer-considered

yes, you want the factory air intake as the carbs/jets are all setup for that... stock is the best way to spend the day on the water, and not in the garage...

The GSX is the lightest 951 ski, and thus the best power/weight of pretty much anything short of a F-14. It's honestly so overpowered it's a bit of a ridiculous ski.

It does tend to porpoise WAY too much, and it turns like a 4x8 sheet of plywood with a 100 HP outboard on it...

And that makes it a ton of fun.

Something the RXP-X will never be... it's just too serious of a ski.

Last edited by a moderator:
IF you are running with aftermarket f/a it needs to be jetted correctly. It will run great if its jetted for it. PM me and I can give you the #'s you need to make it run. Your engine compression is low, I would try another gauge and hold the throttle wide open and see what you get. Also having a fresh battery is a must.

I do have 951 parts... If you were in PA, I'd rebuild it for fun, but only over the winter...

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?84045-Parts-overstock-any-offer-considered

yes, you want the factory air intake as the carbs/jets are all setup for that... stock is the best way to spend the day on the water, and not in the garage...

The GSX is the lightest 951 ski, and thus the best power/weight of pretty much anything short of a F-14. It's honestly so overpowered it's a bit of a ridiculous ski.

It does tend to porpoise WAY too much, and it turns like a 4x8 sheet of plywood with a 100 HP outboard on it...

And that makes it a ton of fun.

Something the RXP-X will never be... it's just too serious of a ski.

you summed up the GSX pretty well haha... and that is why i absolutely love this ski.. most people don't get it except those who have rode one.

do any of the sharp guys in here happen to live near or in Tampa that would be willing to take a look at it for some $$?

i freaking love this ski and want to get back on the water lol

the gtx 4stroker just does not wet my willies....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back