1999 Challenger 1800 Twin Rotax 787s smoke at cold start

Status
Not open for further replies.

bglodde

My boat is in otherwise great condition, but on cold start, I get a lot of oily smoke. It subsides completely after 10-15 mins out on the water and doesn't reappear once they have gotten warm, even across multiple stops & starts. Additionally, I get the occasional click (no start) from my port engine. In that case, I remove the plugs, put a towel over the holes, crank it a few times, clean the plugs, and will get it to start/run. That is pretty much isolated to when it hasn't been started in awhile. I plan to have the battery checked immediately just to be sure that's in good shape.

The dealer did "Spring Maintenance" on it (which seemed to consist of me handing them some money for nothing) and said the compression is 140-145 on all cylinders. They also said "it's a two stroke so it's always going to smoke". It really seems like it's just running way rich or too much oil is being consumed.

Is there any way to reduce the amount of oily smoke from the engines through basic carb or other adjustments?

Thanks in advance.

So this condition happens every time you start it up after sitting a while, not just after it was winterized? If so it sounds like one of the seals to the rotary valve may be seeping oil into the crank area. There was a thread about this the last week or so. The suggestion was to pinch off the lines to the valve when not in use.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?49281-wich-oil-line-to-pinch-Doc

This may help. What oil are you using? I have heard that Amsoil smokes less. Not sure if that's true. I think yours would take the Interceptor oil.

The dealer did "Spring Maintenance" on it (which seemed to consist of me handing them some money for nothing)

Yeah I get that feeling too... mind if I ask what they charged you. I took my 09 Challenger SE 180 in about a month ago and the total was $355.72 and included an oil and filter change. They did a compression check 125 - 125 - 125. Checked with software found no fault codes,etc. Visual inspection,etc but actual work other than the oil and filter. This place is an authorized BRP deal for the seadoo boats in central New Jersey. Was a cool place with lots of nice toys to check out and the people were friendly, BUT I still think the price was high for what was done.

agree with toro, and once that excess oil burns off, your fine.

but I can tell you my 96 challenger didn't smoke much after a few days rest, but it certainly DID smoke enough that you didn't want to do it in your garage :)

So this condition happens every time you start it up after sitting a while, not just after it was winterized?
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?49281-wich-oil-line-to-pinch-Doc

This may help. What oil are you using? I have heard that Amsoil smokes less. Not sure if that's true. I think yours would take the Interceptor oil.

It happens after winterization mainly, but I will check the other posting as well as the alternative oil. Great suggestions - thank you.

it was probably my post that was read a week ago about this problem, i was able to go a few weeks without a lot of oil in the crankcase, but now this season if the boat sits for a week i have to pump out the oil in order to be able turn it over. Dr Honda knows this issue well, it gets annoying pumping out the oil but once out the motor, it runs great. and with BRP XPS oil i haven't fouled a plug yet while burning off the remaining oil.

it was probably my post that was read a week ago about this problem, i was able to go a few weeks without a lot of oil in the crankcase, but now this season if the boat sits for a week i have to pump out the oil in order to be able turn it over. Dr Honda knows this issue well, it gets annoying pumping out the oil but once out the motor, it runs great. and with BRP XPS oil i haven't fouled a plug yet while burning off the remaining oil.

That ^ is me exactly. What limits the amount of oil being distributed to the engines? Could it be that some part of that system is worn? I'd love to stop smoking people out at the landings :reddevil:

That ^ is me exactly. What limits the amount of oil being distributed to the engines? Could it be that some part of that system is worn? I'd love to stop smoking people out at the landings :reddevil:

It helps to leave fast :)
But never going to happen with a 2 stroke.
It your letting it sit for extended periods pinch the oil feed line to keep it from filling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back