1998 xp limited 947 rotax carb cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveWarr

I have a 1998 947 rotax that I think needs the carbs cleaned, I have started to remove most of the bolts to get the exhaust system off except for one very tricky bolt with a nut on it that sits directly under the large black exhaust piece. how do you remove that nut from the bolt? I have tried every size wrench possible open end and box end nothing seems to fit it or not enough room for me to get either end of wrench on the nut. Do I just remove the entire exhaust header and take the whole piece out or is there a special tool that gets to that one freaking nut.
I didnt want to take the exhaust manifold off and cause me to replace another gasket if i dont need to, but if I need to so be it.
Any help on this problem is greatly appreciated, and if you have any other notes or things to be aware of please let me know, thanks Dave

i have the same ski and ran into the same problem,,u dont have to remove the exhaust to get the carbs off,,i found that out after i discovered i couldnt split the silicone seal of the tuned pipe,,hear a little heads up,,i did get the that exhaust bolt out,using a stubby 15mm wrench,,all it did was make me buy an exhaust gasket,,i slid the carbs out under the front of the pipe,,was fairly easy,,mirror and flashlight!! good luck
troy

Thanks for the info, will try with a mirror and just take the carbs off. I didn't break any seals or gaskets so I was able to just put bolts back in and torc em down. :)

I spent quite a bit of time just thinking about how Id get the carbs off my XPs. Then I found out that the exhaust absolutely needs to stay on when removing carbs. It's not as bad as you think. Patience, mirrors and a little bit of time and they come right out. Good luck.

1. you do not need to remove the pipe to get the carbs off.
2. with some practice, you can have the carbs off in under 30 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back