1998 speedster premix

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathy daniel

I have 1998 speedster boat and the oringinal owner changed it to pemix and I would like to know what the ratio is need to premix the oil and gas. Can I use syn oil?

Prolly best to use synthetic, I have older machines and use Amsoil, there are several out there. Without the OEM oil pump you will use more spark plugs cause of idle fouling but think of all the bugs you kill near the shoreline - this debate will live on forever. The ratio I have read the most is 40-1, and in the begining of the season I use this and the oil pump, just to make sure the motor is drinking oil like normal - on some motors you still have to check/drain/refill the counterbalance shaft oil so eliminating the OEM oil pump does not mean less maintenance, observe the technical manual for your motor to be sure about the oil port.

Pre_mix

SEADOOYA is incorrect.
16 oz. oil to 5 gal. fuel= 40:1
16 oz. oil to 6 gal. fuel= 50:1

DAWG

Oil mix...

SEADOOYA is incorrect.
16 oz. oil to 5 gal. fuel= 40:1
16 oz. oil to 6 gal. fuel= 50:1

DAWG

Yeah, I agree Dawg...

As for the counterbalance shaft?.... This is a touchy subject for me because there is no real reason to add oil. When you take off this plug, most owners can't see any oil in it, so they fill it up. This area is only suppose to have 1 oz. of oil for lubricating the cog gears between the balance and crankshaft.

Over filling this with more than the required oil will cause overheating, blow out your seals and loss of oil. That will eventually seize the cog gears and blow out the casing.

If you can dip a straw or string into it and bring it up with oil on the end of it, leave it alone. DO NOT FILL this up to the top. This WILL damage the motor.

Oh, what happens is sorta like swinging a baseball bat underwater. When you fill the gear case up to the top, you put to much resistance on the gears until the oil gets so hot, it blows out the inner seals. You'll likely not notice it until it's too late.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back