1998 Speedster Audio Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFoster130

Premium Member
Premium Member
I bought my first jet boat back in March. I wasnt able to pick it up out of town till April. During that time, I found this site. I read a lot of posts about audio upgrades and was really inspired by Darthspeed. Before I even had the boat home I was compiling parts to make a rockin stereo system.

I just want to share some of what I learned and maybe help others in the future. I started with a 1998 Speedster. It did come with a JVC head unit and 2 6" JVC marine speakers. I never even heard what it sounded like. I removed it right away. Here are some pics of what it looked like.

Attachments

• IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 700
Last edited by a moderator:
I knew I wanted to make a system that would be reliable. I bought everything Marine rated. The only thing I did not buy that was rated strictly marine is the power cable for the amp. All other wiring and RCA cables is all marine grade.

Here is a list of what I decided to install.

Head Unit
Clarion M475 The main reason I selected this was it has 3 RCA amp outputs and has a IPOD connection.

Amp
Alpine PDX5M This amp is amazing. It powers the whole system and is compact enough to fit in the front compartment under the cooler.

Mid Range Speakers
Kicker KM620 I bought 2 sets of these to put in the rear of the boat.

Kicker Component Set 625.2 This was not in the original plan but I bought them off someone locally for $20, So I am planning to install them later in the bow of the boat and run them with the head unit.

Subs
Kicker KM10 I mounted 2 of these in the rear of the boat in the location of the old 6" speakers.

I spent a lot more money than I wanted to, but this is a solid system that should last for years. I am by no means any type of pro installer. I have just done a little bit to cars I have owned over the years. It took me about 15 hours to get it all done, but man does it ROCK.

Here are some pics during the build. I taped off each area before I started to cut. The rear holes I decided to open up to make room for the subs. I started out using a rotozip, but was not impressed. These holes were by far the hardest and were a learning experience. It is hard to make that first cut, but once you do, its no so bad. I ended up finishing these holes with a jigsaw. The hardest part here was removing a chunk of the foam flotation panels. The sides of them are fiberglass and must be cut away. It was a pain in more ways than once, I still have fiberglass stuck to me.

The holes for the 4 mid range speakers was very easy. They called for a 5 1/8 hole. I used a 5" hole saw and by the time I punched the hole out, it was perfect. It was very easy and the holes were perfect.

To mount the amp I used a piece of wood that was just slightly bigger. I used liquid nail to glue it down. I also used liquid nail to glue down the IPOD holder. I used 4 gauge power and ground cables which I ran in wire loom through the ski locker to the back of the boat. The ground is directly to the battery and the power is connected to the factory battery switch. The starboard side speaker wires were also run in the wire loom to the back of the boat and then up the side. I was able to fish all the speaker wires for the port side down the side using a wire fish tape.

To power the head unit I used the wires that are there with the harness from the factory. It worked out perfect.

Here are some more pics during the build.

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 543
Here is the finished product. It is amazing. I also installed a quick connect for charging the battery. I am going to have to install a second battery. Until then, I am just charging it fully the day before and I take a jump pack with me. I will try to get a video uploaded for everyone to hear.

It was a lot of work, but it is worth it to me. I learned a lot and had some help from people off here. Greg (tresvatos) was very helpful and darthspeed answered some questions. If anyone else wants to try something similar, dont hesitate to ask for help.

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_0465.jpg
    IMG_0465.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 687
Sweeet lookin install! Thanks for sharing & posting pics.

I posted a question in another forum about wiring the power to the head unit. What did you use on yours, a switched hooked up or constant?

I've got a thread started in General Disc. about my Sportster 03 build-up with my equipment listed as well. With my head unit, what would you suggest for wiring power?

I used the factory plug that was already there. In the cooler compartment, there was a plug wire tied to the wall. It had red and yellow wires that connected, a black and then 2 sets of speaker wires. They are wired to the battery switch from the factory. There is not a constant power wire. I plan on using my ipod mostly and I also use the built in crossovers in the amp to set the music the way I like, so I dont need any memory on the radio. I thought about it, but I am really hesitant to leave any constant battery source on. I like knowing everything is killed at the battery switch.

Turned out great! Good job!!!

The system looks great!! I know from experience you probably work all weekend on this.. Really curious to know how the 10" with the free air set-up sounds..

The subs really sound good. I will try to get a video up soon. I was going to try to use a box, but with the twin motors, there just isnt enough room in the engine compartment to try to get something up the sides of the boat. I think it sounds fine. I really think the main reason it sounds so good is the amp. It was pretty expensive, but it is worth every penny. It powers everything perfectly.

Rfoster 130-
Great job!!!! I am glad to see that others have the need for great sound on the water. I have had some problems with my ipod freezing up when I hit really big waves. This could be just mine though. Good luck on that one. I am looking into getting Sirius instead, which I enjoy alot in my vehicle. Try and upload a video thru you tube of a walk around and show the install.

Same thing with IPOD happened to me!!

HAHA My ipod froze up Memorial day too. Was a quick fix by holding the buttons on the IPOD, but kinda funny that happened to you too!

Nice!!

That looks really good, I like the set up, you have your speakers in the exact same spot as mine. It is pretty much an identical install.

:cheers:

Thanks for the compliments. I will be adding the extra component set soon in the front of the boat. I know I am going to need to add the extra battery. Just a matter of figuring out what will fit there and how to secure it. Waiting on the hydro turf now. It is all the other people here who inspired me to do this project.

My ipod freezes up occasionally in my truck too. It really is basically a spinning hard drive, so a good jolt will make it go out of whack like a computer. Usually holding the top button on the wheel at the same time as the center button resets it.

I am trying to figure out my next modifications, a second battery. Scrump and Darthspeed, what do you have for a battery switch? I am curious what battery switch I can get for off, 1, 2, All, that will fit in the factory hole. I thought about just adding the battery and running it in parallel with the factory battery and not using a switch.

@RFoster130 - Good question! I wonder what is the "recommended/preferred" way to go for running a 2nd battery???

If an All,1,2,None switch is worth the investment and what fits in the factory spot that my main battery cut-off switch fits now.

Or if just adding a 2nd battery and running it in parallel with the 1st first is a better way.

Also, of these methods, which one will allow the altenator to charge both batteries? And chance of over-charging?

And to top it off, I found this at Cabela's last night...
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat21310&hasJS=true

Any one use something like this for auto-switching & charging???

I think the simple 1,2,all,none switch will work just fine. It will charge whichever battery you have it set to. So if you have it on 1, that one will charge, if it is on all, both will charge. That is my plan if I can find a switch that fits in the factory hole. The other option of just wiring it in parallel would work and it would always charge. You just dont have a way to reserve the power of 1 battery if you are using the juice up while the engine is off.

i want to buy a seadoo boat just so i can install a sick audio system. i made a pretty nice one on my ski but you can only do so much with that little of room :ack:

I just saw the type of battery switch on the new overton's master catalof. Go to Overton's web site I'm sure its on there. This last weekend I was able to listen to the system for a long time and had no problems with my 2 battery setup. I did however install new altermator last year.

I looked on overtons as well as west marine. I dont see one that looks like the factory. All the ones I find are round and the factory one isnt. The perko looks like it might fit.

I looked this morning and the factory switch is a Perko. I think that the Perko combo switch may fit there. It appears to be a different shape on the front, but when I removed it, the back is round. I am going to order one and see what I can do since it is only like $35.

I just saw the type of battery switch on the new overton's master catalof. Go to Overton's web site I'm sure its on there. This last weekend I was able to listen to the system for a long time and had no problems with my 2 battery setup. I did however install new altermator last year.

Your boat has an alternator, wierd mine has a stator. I thought only cars had alternators?

I am not positive, but I think his has an alternator because it has a mercury motor. It is more like a car v6. I think it has a belt drive and is capable of an alternator.

Mine is a mecury 240 hp v6 2 stroke. It has an alternator 60 amp. I know it was replaced last season and cost around 380.00 or so.

I finally got the boat out on the water over the weekend. I am very pleased with the system and the boat as well. Glad I bought a jet boat. I am already planning my next one..lol

If you are going to do dual batteries make sure they are identical twins, do not miss match them you will pay for it later (born on date, size and MFG). I have dual batteries and a switch in my four winns with twin 500 watt jensen amps i have gone for three hours and have not had to switch it over to the other battery. In the past with old batteries i have had to switch to "both" to get started and never been stranded.
switch $50
extra battery $100
cables, time and patience $50
no getting stranded and feeling like an idiot.... i have to say it...priceless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back