1998 GTX Limited with a 951 an odd rev issue - need guidance please

BackyardMechanic

Premium Member
Premium Member
I am brand new to the Forum and just bought a 1998 GTX Limited with a 951, like usual a good deal that may not be, anyway the day I bought it; it cranked easily (had been cranked before on that day) The issue; it cranks and runs but when you try to go above idle it almost dies, if you rapidly hit the throttle hard it will eventually rev up and run over 50mph. However, when you let off the throttle you have to play a bit with the throttle to make it take off.

The next day I had to clean the plugs due to oil on them, spray a bit of starting fluid and it finally cranked. It revs fine with just a water hose hooked up and would also crank easily after the initial crank, that was last night and I am expecting it to be hard to start tomorrow.

A few things I should mention:
1) the oiler system has been removed and the gas could have too much oil in it
2) the previous owner rebuilt the carbs and I have not checked the adjustment. I believe you said in one post I read is that the "high = 0 /closed and the low = 1.5 out, I assume both carbs are set the same.
3) there is a very minor oil leak where one of the red caped vales (do not know the name) screws into the head

There are so many options, I could be going down multiple rabbit holes and still not fix it I am not lazy but do not want to have too much in motion and create even more problems. I would much appreciate your guidance and my number is 864-979-8734 and my name is Larry McCants, if it would be easier to discuss than to go back and forth typing - I am good either way.

Lastly, any recommendations on a shop manual and parts manual would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, I need any guidance you can give...

Could be dirty, leaking RAVE valves. Get new seals and clean them.

Also if you can’t verify he used all new genuine Mikuni carb rebuild parts you need to do that too.

Back