1998 GTI Refuse to Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

areyes

Hi:
Got a 1998 GTI and a 1997 GTX, already spend over $3000 on them and I thought I got a good deal for $500 each.
A shop did maintenace/overhaul on both, new hoses, etc.
The 98/GTI only start after a long time trying to do it.
It has new battery, new safety switch, new solenoid, new starter but only until many minutes (+15 min) hooking/unhooking the safety cup I see the red light on the gauges and then it start and runs fine.
Only twice started right up. Now they told me I need a new Electronic Module Assembly and/or rectifier.

Please help me with some advice, can I test the module? Do I need to get a new rectifier? What esle can I do?

Thank you from a new owner.

Alex Reyes

Only until many minutes (+15 min) hooking/unhooking the safety cup I see the red light on the gauges and then it start and runs fine.

So the ski is not recognizing the DESS key? Its probably a bad post. You can test it with a multimeter. Download the service manual online and it will show you the testing procedure.

So the ski is not recognizing the DESS key? Its probably a bad post. You can test it with a multimeter. Download the service manual online and it will show you the testing procedure.

Thanks, but the post was replaced with a new and re-tested on the shop with a device, and it was OK. After many many hooks and unhooks of the key(cup) it starts and runs fine. If it was bad it will never start, I think.

Use a spark checker while cranking. Symtom suggests a wire harness electrical problem or crack/broken pick-up bracket in stator.

Bills86e

Use a spark checker while cranking. Symtom suggests a wire harness electrical problem or crack/broken pick-up bracket in stator.

Bills86e

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that when I try it to start absolutely nothing happens, not even a sound. After like 15 mins of plugin and unplugin the security cup and hitting the start buttom it finally shows the red light on the gauges and then start right away. As soon as it cranks it starts.
So, for whatever reason it does not energized the circuit until it does after like 15-30 minutes. Every thing has been replaced ( battery, starter, solenoid, post, start switch ) with the exeception of the MPEM. So i guess I need to order one new.
Again thanks.
Alex

You may have water in your mag chamber. I'd take off the front cover and take a look. My gti refused to do anything once it corroded the stator and started frying fuses

Well, order a new computer (electronic box with no ID requ.ired) install it and that did it. It cranks right away. Now I have every thing new, where I did not need to replace all the parts. By the way the part cost me $ 134 not the $600 the shop was asking.
This is my update. Thanks

Well, order a new computer (electronic box with no ID requ.ired) install it and that did it. It cranks right away. Now I have every thing new, where I did not need to replace all the parts. By the way the part cost me $ 134 not the $600 the shop was asking.
This is my update. Thanks

Nice job, from where did you buy the part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back