1997 XP Sea-Doo engine cuts off at WOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

txspaceship

I changed spark plugs on my doo and then notice that at WOT for a few seconds the engine shuts down completely. I can remove the key and then re-start with no problem. I can run at 3/4 or below with no problem. Can anybody help ... thanks

1. It appears that your PTO accellertor pump could be allowing the fuel to dribble out of the nozzel in the carb and enrichen the mixture.
2. Someone may have used a ohmeter probe into mpem pin connectors, enlarged it, not it intermittently shorts.
3. DESS post may be a loose/bad fit, any jump shuts down ignition.

Could be something as simple as a bad lanyard post or just a worn out lanyard. Do you have this problem if you hold the lanyard post all the way down with your finger ?
When a lanyard of that type get too old, it may not be holding the post down far enough to make contact, or it allows it to lose contact when riding it. Once contact is lost, all systems shut down until rebooted by the lanyard post.

There are three wires going to the DESS post

- White/Gray
- Black/Yellow
- Black

The black wire is ground. The other two wires use the black wire as common.

Here is what happens when you put a key on the post. There is a small reed switch in the post that connects to the black/yellow and black wire. The key has a magnet in it, so it closes the reed switch, effectively shorting the black/yellow and black wires together.

This turns on the MPEM. It begins sending out a signal on the White/Gray wire. The center post of the DESS post is connected to the White/Gray wire, and when you put the key on, it makes contact with both the center post and the ring on the post, which is connected to the black wire (ground) This signal "turns on" the key, and it sends the serial number of the key to the MPEM over the White/Gray wire. The MPEM reads this serial number, and if it matches one of the key serial numbers stored in memory, it activates the MPEM which sends out the two beeps. Once this happens, the key circuit is shut off. It no longer has any function, except that the magnet is needed to keep the MPEM alive. The short between Black/Yellow and Black must always be present to keep the ski running. Go over all wire connections and clean then apply Dielectrical grease, Fuses & Holders too! The 97 XP is known for corrosion problems with the MPEM connectors due to the stupid location they put the MPEM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chester what is an enine seizure ? If you are saying that the engine is lock up then wouldn't I have problems re-starting and running the engine at lower rpms?

If for some reason your high speed circuit is running lean, the engine will seize (lock up) at top speed. Then after the engine cools a little (maybe 10 seconds or so) it frees up again. If the damage to the pistons and cylinder walls is not severe, it will start up and run again. Pull the head off and check the cylinder walls and remove the RAVE valves to see the pistons.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back