1997 SeaDoo XP - Coil Missing (Need pics) / Wiring / Spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hondo

Hey guys!!! I just got my '97 XP back after a family member was testing it out to buy it. He said he couldn't get it started so he went to tearing into it (it was running last time I rode it). Long story short... he discarded the coil that was most likely still good and I noticed a couple of wires "wire-nutted" together like house wiring when I looked inside the box - and I'm absolutely POSITIVE that wasn't my doing.

Anyway, I have a couple of coils, (but may have to adapt accordingly if possible), and I'm sure once all the wiring is hooked back up correctly to one of these coils, I can trace down either a corroded wire or bad ground somewhere to resolve why it wouldn't start for him, but if anyone has one handy, I could use a photo or some confirmation of another coil/ignition box to show me where these loose wires connect properly since I'm not sure exactly what to do with the loose black wires & the white wire... Hopefully nothing behind the stator - if so will need more help on that!

Here's what's loose:
* 1 white wire with spade coming from harness that probably goes to + on coil. (???)
* 1 black wire with eyelet on one end and spade that probably goes to - on coil. (???)
* 1 black wire with eyelet on one end and is now "wire-nutted" to a white wire connecting to spade terminal on starter sylinoid. If this is routed correct, I will re-soulder & fabricate a new wire to replace this one.
* 2 other black wires with eyelets that go into a square plug at top of box (these don't appear to have been tampered with.)

I've got 2 different coils from a couple of my older skis. The one that appears to be the correct coil looks pretty corroded, so may need to see if there's a way to "adapt" this other one until I can get correct part (if necessary).
COIL 1: Nippodenso - part #278000383 / 129700-3280 CDI (believe this came off another 787 but is a little corroded).
COIL 2: Denso - part #278000202 / 12900-0500 CDI - (think this came off an older 650 xp) This one appears in perfect condition, but not sure if it can be "adapted" with from the 2 spade (COIL1) since it only has one spade connector. ??????

I'm pretty sure that all of the black "eyelets" should go on the mounting block of the coil to ground - but I'm not sure if it matters which side of the coil they mount to, etc. And as far as the 1spade coil, is there a way to adapt this 2spade setup by maybe just grounding (assuming the black wire) with the other eyelets to make the 650 coil work, or is that even possible???

Any help/pics/guidance would be great! Just don't wana fry anything that's not toast already!

Thanks!

H

Result for me on this one - you cannot use or modify a "1 prong" coil to work on an ignition system that has "2 prong" coil setup. I ended up cleaning up the corroded 2prong coil & got spark - not sure if it was a good enough spark, but it did spark! Now I'm off to more problems on same ski, as the coil didn't fix all the problems. Hoping that putting on this old coil wasn't the cause of more. See link: http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...Compression-on-1-Cylinder&p=280791#post280791

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back