1997 GTX STARTING ISSUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan9812

Bought a 1997 GTX seems to have a start issue. Replaced battery and plugs. If you hold start button, for longer than usual, it sometimes cranks. But it does try to start, just doesn’t always turn over. Once you get it started it’s fine. Any suggestions.

Sounds like a bad ground cable connection, you might try cleaning all the battery cable connections and ground wire cable connections and see how it does. Also if you can check the resistance of the ground wire itself, they can corrode on the inside and limit the voltage you are getting to the starter.

Ok I’ll check that out. Sold a 95 Xp (389hrs) for 97 gtx (195hrs). Started when I purchased it and ran good. Filled up gas at Norris Lake since the purchase, having an issue with starting. It beeps fine when key is connected. I do get a warning of low 12V signal on digital read out.

Called local mechanic says it could be a “stater” I’m on the water at Norris lake Tennessee, on a floating house. Just trying a fix it before the family members come down. With what I have.

A starter will not cause the 12V low. That is caused by either a bad battery or voltage regulator.

Does the 12V low warning go off after a few revs of the motor (assuming battery is fully charged)? Diagnosing it as the stator with those symptoms seems like a pretty wild guess, to start with anyway. Did cleaning/checking all the ground and battery connections not change anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back