1997 gtx cavitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebber4

My ski is having cavitaion issues when it hits 5000rpm. Happens everytime at the same rpm. I just took the jet pump and driveshaft out expecting to see a problem and everything looks good. The wear ring is well within specs at about .015 being the widest gap and just a few scratches. impeller looks new. The carbon seal and sealing washer look smooth with no noticable wear. I was not getting excessive water in the hull. The driveshaft looks good with rubber plugs in each end. The plug at the pto end is a little worn. Any Ideas as to what to look for or check?

If you are getting to 5000 RPM... and it feels like it's letting loose (like loosing traction) then that's the carbon seal. Basically, you are creating enough suction to pull it back. So, we need to figure out if the carbon ring is warn... the boot is soft, or if your stainless ring moved forward.

Can you please post a nice clear pic from the carbon ring, up to the PTO boot.

But just as an FYI... there should be about a 1" gap between the PTO boot and the stainless ring. If that gap is there... then you can try to put a couple zip ties around the carbon ring boot. That will help keep the ring from getting sucked back.

oh and there was a gasket between the pump and the ski that was made out of silicone or something and it seemed to be partially gone.

Mine did the same thing, not sure of the rpm's but right after it planed off cavitation would occur.
It was a slightly bent drive shaft.
New one fixed it right up.

This is why this forum is so awesome. Such quick responses. Doc, you are the best and i really appreciate that you are willing to share your knowledge and that you have been so consistent and quick to help. Ill post a pic later tonight or tomorrow night

gtx shaft.jpg

I removed all the clamps during disassembly. The gap between the edge of the boot on the shaft to edge of the ring is about one and one quarter inch. The rubber plug is in the pto end of the driveshaft.

Just as an update to this very old thread. The zip ties worked like a charm. I haven't been to use the ski for a couple of years. Been out 4 times this year and still runs fine with no noticeable cavitation.

Sent from my LG-AS990 using Tapatalk

I placed the zip ties between the boot and the hull so it would apply as much pressure as possible.

Sent from my LG-AS990 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back