1997 GTS oil leaking from bottom of engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_eng

I had posted on this subject months ago but am unable to find the thread. Dr. Honda, based upon my description of the problem, suggested it might be coming from the threaded fittings on the crankcase for the large oil lines.

I have removed the carb and oil pump housing to better see what is going on. I cleaned the engine cradle and oil lines with brake clean. Every day while the ski is sitting in my shop, oil is dripping from the underside of the engine and collecting on the cradle in a low spot. There is no oil coming from the threaded fittings nor the oil lines. I have tried looking under the engine with a video scope but the resolution is not good enough to pick up the source of the oil.

I have the ski on a tilt with the rear down so based upon where the oil is traveling and accumulating, the oil is not coming from the rear crankshaft seal and the oil is only on the rear portion of the cradle so I don't think it is coming from a front crankshaft seal.

Is it possible the oil is coming from one of the bolts which secure the two halves of the crankcase? This is my best guess at this stage. Is my best bet to remove the engine and pressure test it? Is making my own pressure test kit practical?

Thanks for any comments.

Dave_eng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back