1997 gts losing top end

Status
Not open for further replies.

90jeepyj

Hello, I have a 1997 sea doo gts that has been giving quite a headache thus far...

I have had an issue where the ski will run well for varying periods of time, then will gradually lose top end speed, until it will only give a high idle back to the ramp.

Most of the following was performed incrementally, in the case that one step actually worked: I have replaced the fuel pump diaphragm, fuel lines, bypassed the fuel selector, replaced both fuel filters, replaced all fuel (always ran 93), cleaned the cooling passages on the head and exhaust, replaced the water lines (Which resulted in quite a steady stream), replaced the oil and verified oil pump function, new plugs (old plugs looked good, not fouled or burned excessively)

Star Tron has been added to the fuel religiously if not being used extensively within one month of fill.

None of which have had any effect on the symptom as of yet.

I have noticed that the symptom presents MUCH quicker if I am rough on the ski, i.e. quick turns, heavy acceleration... opposed to if I run WOT but in straight lines with wide turns, I can get 45-60 minutes of runtime before any issues.

Overheat switch and buzzer are confirmed operational, and not signaling upon occurrence.

Any advice or further troubleshooting steps you may have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Steady stream coming from tell tale? Any discoloration of paint on motor or exhaust? You say new diaphrams but have the carbs been rebuilt? I think you should stop using the Startron. It cleans the oil off of the pistons (not good for a 2stroke).

Steady stream of lukewarm water, no discoloration of paint on the motor or exhaust. the carb was rebuilt last year, but not since this issue has been occurring. Is there another fuel stabilizer you prefer to startron? This ski does occasionally sit with only being run for a few minutes every other weekend, would like to treat the gas in some way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back