1997 gti MPEM diode zapped and replaced 3 times (and counting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcjoe

Ok so I am becoming a professional diode replacer. I have just replaced my third diode on my mpem and will be installing it back in the pwc tomorrow. To clarify: My diode zaps have been during a throttle increase and not decelerating. I have also gotten 3-4 hours of run time in between diode zaps. Based on my forum research I've found three possiblities for the diode blowing. 1) jump starting the unit with a running vehicle. 2) metal shavings/particles from the starter/flywheel falling into the stator and causing a short. 3) a loss of ground causing some kind of voltage spike that zaps the diode. Well number 1 has not been my problem. Number 2 does not look like it either. My stator ohms proper and charges when the diode is replaced (and 5 amp fuse replaced). Number 3 could be my problem but I have questions. Other than the heavy gage negative cable that goes from the engine case to the battery is there another wire(s) I need to verify a proper and secure ground? Are there any other possible reasons for blowing the diode? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

If you have a short in the system (like from the VTS) they are known to give up. Also... are you using the proper diode? Yes... a rectifier diode will work... but the proper Shotkey is a very high amp unit. As I recall... it's 35a continuous. Plus, it gives a 1.5v drop across it.

OK... just checking. But... regardless of the VTS or not... you have a short somewhere taking out that diode.

I had the same problem, I blew my diode twice. I ended up going through all the wiring and found the black wire going into the connector for the stator had a cut in it and when I touched it it came a part, fixed it and and have not had a problem since. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back