1997 GTI 717 - won't start. General questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faust

Hi everyone,

I just bought a non-running 1997 GTI and it won't start, but it does crank when I short the solenoid. I have never worked on engines, but I think I can figure it out. Here are some general questions I have that I haven't been able to find answers to doing a search.

1. I've seen that normal compression is 150 PSI. I am getting 120 PSI in each cylinder. Does compression have anything to do with battery strength? For example, if you have 2 batteries, 1 fully charged and 1 lesser charged, would you get more compression with a new battery?

2. How bad is 120 PSI? Do I need a piston rebuild kit, or is it still acceptable?

3. How many ground wires need to be connected to the negative battery post? Is it just the one coming from the box in the back (not sure what that's called)?

4. I know there are fuses in the box with the MPEM, but are there any other fuses I can check?

5. If the start button isn't working, how do I go about troubleshooting? Where do I start? What are common issues, if any, that cause the button to no longer work?

6. If I have to short the solenoid to crank the engine, does that mean the solenoid is bad, or could that just be related to the start button not working?

I know that is a lot of questions, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Faust

Do you have the correct DESS key?
Do you get 2 beeps when you connect the lanyard?

120 psi compression is low and it will typically be hard to start in the water. It’s basically the low end where we recommend a rebuild.

Don’t use two batteries or jump starter or boost box. You need one good 12v battery.

I believe I have the correct key. It does fit loosely though (a common problem with older models from what I've read). I do not get any beeps when connecting the key.

For the rebuild for the pistons, is there a kit that is recommended?

I understand. I was just wondering if the compression would be different with a fully charged battery compared to an almost dead battery.

So bad news. I went out and hooked up a new battery, cleaned off some rusty connectors and wanted to see if that would fix anything. I checked the 2 fuses in front as well. The starter no longer cranks the engine when shorting the solenoid. It just spins freely. Could this mean I need a new starter?

It could be the battery doesn’t have enough amps for the starter or a bad bendix on the starter.

Check the battery voltage when cranking, it should not drop below 12v.

It could be the battery doesn’t have enough amps for the starter or a bad bendix on the starter.

Check the battery voltage when cranking, it should not drop below 12v.
Good tip. This is a new battery though. I have a second 1997 GTI for parts. Just for giggles, I checked the compression there and it was 150 PSI in each cylinder. Looks like I am going to be using that one. It also cranked over just fine with the same battery.

Now I just have to get that one running. It is missing the dess key post. Can I take the one off of the other ski if I also swap over the MPEM? Would that work?

After much pondering, I'll be removing the motor from the second GTI and put it in the first GTI. Everything else on the first GTI is in better shape (steering cable and reverse cable aren't frozen, for example).

Any tips on removing the motor? I will be using colored tape to remind me where all of the cables go so I know where to put them back on reinstall. Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back