1997 GSX

zimmy05

Hello, I recently bought a 1997 GSX and have two issues.

One, I have the somewhat common issue with the ski not opening the RAVE valves and topping out at 5000 rpms. It will eventually go full tilt up to 6400 rpms after some cycling of off and full throttle. I've rebuilt the RAVES with new diaphragm and o-rings along with the slotted RAVES and updated housings according to the TSB but I still have the problem. Do I now start fiddling with the red caps? If so, which direction?

Second, I was told the base gasket is pushing out and while the part is cheap, the amount of labor by the shop is not. I am fairly handy and have worked on engines. How difficult is it to change the base gasket. It doesn't look too hard, but the tilt of the engine could be an issue

Last edited:
How does the RAVE valves slide after puttin new ones in? Sometimes this is due to the tighter fit of new ones. Now when I clean or replace the RAVES, I coat the guillotines with either XPS lube or WD40 when reassembling. You can also turn the red caps out to flush with the black until a little breakin occurs. This will cause them to open a little sooner.

I have not had to go as deep as the bottom end or a base gasket so I will let others comment on that one.

The RAVE valves do slide freely. The old ones did too after I cleaned them. The red caps are flush with with the black.

Hello, I recently bought a 1997 GSX and have two issues.

One, I have the somewhat common issue with the ski not opening the RAVE valves and topping out at 5000 rpms. It will eventually go full tilt up to 6400 rpms after some cycling of off and full throttle. I've rebuilt the RAVES with new diaphragm and o-rings along with the slotted RAVES and updated housings according to the TSB but I still have the problem. Do I now start fiddling with the red caps? If so, which direction?

Second, I was told the base gasket is pushing out and while the part is cheap, the amount of labor by the shop is not. I am fairly handy and have worked on engines. How difficult is it to change the base gasket. It doesn't look too hard, but the tilt of the engine could be an issue
If you used cheap rave bellows they are probably stiff I would wind the red cap out past flush. Changing the base gasket is not super easy but it is an afternoon job. But it’s hard to say if it really needs to be replaced without seeing it

Back