1997 gsx help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixslr8

i'm having some trouble getting my gsx to start. when i got it the previous owner told me that it needed another mpem because he had hooked to battery up backwards and fried the old one. i got a used mpem, charged the battery and had my key programmed for the new mpem. when i place the key i hear no audible beep which if i remember correctly i've heard when i placed the key on other sea doo's. when you press the start button there is no attempt to crank. the red light on the buttom of the display lights up. you can scroll through all the options on the screen, rpm, hours etc. any ideas of what else may be going on or what to replace?

Key codes?

Your correct on the DESS audible beeps. When you put your cap on the post, you should get two short audible beeps. This signals that the lanyard key is the right one and the ski is ready to start. If you get one long beep, that means the key is the wrong one for the ski, or the mpem is bad. Since your not getting anything, your cap to post may not be making good contact. Try wiggling it around a bit. Pull it off and on several times. Make sure the battery ground wire to the starter is solidly attached. No corrosion. Lastly, check the fuses in your electrical box. The MPEM has a 5 amp fuse for protection.
Write us back, let us know how you come out!....:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, did you check the battery? Sometimes when a battery is hooked up backwards it causes feedback when something in the loop is fried and it can fuse plates. If the battery won't hold a charge or plates are fused, it won't hold enough power to do much more than light a display.

Another thing is to check all wires to see if any of them were fried. When you get a situation whith a cross wired battery, some wires can heat up and fry inside the sheath. The sheath of the wire will be discolored and most likely brittle or have a melted look.

Best of luck.

That's some good advice Dusthawk...To check that the wires are still good, use a multi meter to check for continuity on the wires in questions. Replace them as required.

Karl

update

ok guys did a lil testing today and i'm not really fluent when it comes to electrical but thought i'd see if i can get some more info. me and my dad put a multimeter on the battery and it showed 12.2 volts. there still is no beeping when i place the key on post. occasionally when removing the rear most large square connecter from the mpem there will be a barely audible beep lasting less than a second. this is the only beeping i hear whatsoever. i unplugged all the wires from the mpem then jumped the two hot wires across the solenoid with a screwdriver and the engine cranked. however it will not crank with the switch. we tested the on/off switch with a multimeter across the two wires goin into it. without the switch being pressed it showed 11.7 volts, when we pressed it the meter showed zero. or i may be completely opposite on this...i dont' remember. the yellow/red wire going to the solenoid never got hot with the switch pressed in or not. we figured this was the wire that activated the solenoid. so by any of this description what may be wrong??

Advanced diagnostic!....

Try this real quick....
When you put the cap on, you should get two audible beeps. That signals that all is well and the doo is ready to start.
There is an advanced mode I'd like you to try. With the lanyard cap "OFF" press the start/stop button 5 times. You should hear one long and one short beep. If you hear this, then put the lanyard cap on. Once you put the cap on, you should hear more beeps. Count them and send it in a post and we'll be able to look up the code for you. If you put the cap on, while in advanced diagnostic mode, then that's suppose to mean that nothing is wrong. Try that real quick and do it a couple times.....then re-post.

I would re-check the beeper too. I have found sometimes it will go bad and be working sending out a 4 beep code indicating that it is in gear and not allow it to turn over or start. If the beeper isn't working than you'll never know if it is beeping, or not at all. Put you hand on it and try to start it and feel if it vibrates at all. This is just to be sure the beeper is working first. Than move on to the test that seadoosnipe described.
Karl

update

went out today and tried to listen again for a buzzing. no buzzing could be heard or felt, so i ordered a new buzzer. there was however voltage going through the buzzer wires while trying to start it and when the lanyard was placed. would the buzzer being bad keep it from starting?? i noticed with the lanyard off after hitting the start button several times it would flash a hi temp warning on the info center. any idea what this would mean?? like i said not info would pop up with the lanyard in place...

For a replacement buzzer go to radio shack and buy it for like $10.00 I think. seadoo is close to $40.00 if im not mistaken. bring the old one to radio shack and match it up. Just unplug it from the boat for the comparison. I would cut the old one from the plug and solder it fast and use shrink wrap( also from radio shack) and it will be good as a original replacment one.

The buzzer being bad wouldn't keep it from starting. I take a look in the manual to see if I can figure the problem on you info and high temp.
Karl

High temp flash?

When you push the start button, the system powers up for 33 seconds so that you can check fuel etc without starting the motor. The flash on your info gage tells you that your gages are powered up......
If you had power to the buzzer, then you should be able to get a start. You can try this. Put a test light on the buzzer wires and put your lanyard on. When you put the lanyard on, see how many times the test light flashes. If it flashes (quickly) twice, then you should be ready for a start. The mpem has read the lanyard as the correct one. If you get one long light then it goes off again, then it's the wrong key and it won't start.
Let us know what you get!.......and hope for the simple solution. Replace the beeper.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back