1997 2-Stroke 180 Challenger

ljking2

I have a twin engine 2-Stroke 1997 Challenger 180. We had both blocks replaced 2 winters ago and both carbs rebuilt then too. The rest of the components were just bolted back on from the old engines. The engines had been running fine, but recently while idling around the no-wake zone for about 30-minutes the right engine started sputtering. When we tried going full speed again, it would not go above 3000 rpm. The right engine had run slower in the past when the engines got hot after running for a while (30-45 minutes at 5000-6000 rpm), but it always cleared up on the next trip out when the engines started out cold again. The left engine continues to run fine. Now it's permanent and after trying to run it as high as it will get it occasionally sputters and cuts out, but so far it always re-starts. I tried running it with high solvent fuel additive in it in case some gellied gasoline had gotten in it (the boat IS almost 30 years old after all) but no luck. I have felt the water coolant hoses while running and neither engine is running overly hot, the output hoses both feel the same temp and warm but not burning hot to the touch. Any ideas? Thanks!

No more fuel additive, it washes the oil film off the piston / cylinder.
Try to run the problem engine from a new fuel source. ( short hose to carb in a container of fuel )
This will tell you if the problem is the carburetors or the fuel system

Got it on the fuel additive, I'll try to dilute it by filling the tank back up I think it's less than 1/2 full now. I don't really have a way to drain and dispose of the fuel. I can only really rev it up on the water and driving around the lake with a tube in container of gas won't really be feasible, but maybe I can swap the fuel lines left to right and try it that way. If everything stays the same what does that tell me? An issue with the carb on the bad engine or are there other things that might be wrong?

Back