1996 SPX Pump Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanh6447

So tonight I started attempting to change the wear ring on my 96 SPX. I followed the thread created by Dr. Honda on how to change the wear ring, but I can't get the pump removed. I removed the nozzle with the 4 bolts and then took off the 4 bolts holding the impeller housing on and now I can't get the impeller housing off. Do I need to disconnect something from the drive shaft? Any ideas at all? Thanks in advance guys.

did you remove the cooling hose from inside the hull?

Also... someone else may have used RTV to glue the pump to the hull because they were too lazy to get a new gasket. If you can see RTV around the pump... use a couple large screwdrivers... and put a little pressure on it.

Nope... the impeller should slide off the driveshaft. (As long as it's not rusted to it)

Thanks a lot Dr. Honda we got it off and changed. But I noticed that there was a lot of RTV around all of the openings around the pump. Should I put some on there again just to be safe?

Also what impeller would you recommend for better acceleration?

No, do not use RTV to glue the pump on. You need a neoprene gasket. (it's a seadoo part) The only RTV should be around the cooling hose fitting.

For the best acceleration, use a Skat-Trak "Swirl" impeller. On the SPX, you will probably want a 16/22... but check their chart for the recommended impeller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back