1996 Sportster - Need Help Getting the Driveshaft off the Engine

MoveAround44

Premium Member
Premium Member
Well, after about seven days of failure and frustration I have finally given in and am posting here on the forum. I am rebuilding a 1996 Sportster and am completely lost when it comes to getting the driveshaft off the engine and out of the hull. To be honest, I don't even need to remove the driveshaft, I just need to get it off the engine so I can replace the motor with a new one, however with the engine off the mounts I can only slide it towards the bow a couple inches and its not clearing the splines that go into the PTO.

Now it all seems pretty straightforward, but one of the things that is complicating this project is that the boat has a 580cc engine swapped in from another machine. For this reason I have been unable to find a diagram or video that shows me something exactly the same as what I am looking at. I have looked through a bunch of the different manuals, but since I do not know exactly which model/year the 580cc engine is out of I have been unable to find any diagrams or instructions that match the set up in my boat exactly, and I am not even sure if what's in there in terms of the driveshaft shaft is even original to the boat, or from another machine as well. It would be really helpful if anyone could help me label some of the parts in the pictures I have attached, or obviously any advice, tips, or tricks. I have removed the clamps from the boot, but am still struggling to get the collar to push back towards the stern and expose the alleged "C" clip, or O ring. In fact, I made my own spreader tool and even that wasn't able to effectively push the collar back at all.

Here is a bulleted list of what I have tried so far/possibly helpful information:
  • The jet pump is bolted on the boat
  • The clamps are off the boot (can't imagine I'm mislabeling this, but I am thinking the boot is the springy looking rubber part right before the shaft goes into the hull)
  • When I pull the unattached engine towards the bow the shaft feels like it is stuck on, and as I put more pressure on the engine I can start to see the splines in the shaft that go into the motor
  • No matter how hard I push I cannot get the stainless steel "collar" to move at all
  • I made a spreader tool that looks like the SeaDoo brand one I’ve seen online, but I can’t get it to stay in place because of how stuck the stainless steel collar seems to be
  • I am under the impression that under that collar there is a clip or an O ring, if it's a rubber O ring should I cut it?
  • I can see one O ring, should that be cut?
  • What is up with this clamp next to the visible O ring that looks permanent? Should that be cut or removed?
Any help is appreciated. I hate posting a question that I know there is an easy answer to, but it seems like a sensitive area and I do not want to damage anything or cause more problems than needed. Thank you in advance!

IMG_9163.jpgIMG_9157.jpgIMG_9162.jpg

Bolt the engine back down.
Remove the last small stainless clamp on the boot that connects to the rear flywheel.
Use a block of wood against the engine and a bar to pry the stainless hat back to the jet pump to expose the o-ring or Clip. If is an o-ring just cut it and order the Clip.
Remove the jet pump and take the driveshaft out the back.

Amazing, thank you for the response. I found another video today where I saw the pry bar/wood block technique, so that makes sense and I think I get what you are saying. That pesky clip seems to be my problem, so now that I got some reassurance I will try removing that guy and see if I can get the shaft to pull out. Thanks again. I will update once it is out!

Back