1996 Speedster for $4000 is this a good price, is this this a good product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghurty

Hi,

I am new to jet ski/jet boating. I am looking for something to have fun on the water with. No need to go superfast, just fast enough to feel like I am going fast. I am leaning towards a boat vs a ski, because at least initially I would like to get something I can take my wife and little kids with me and the kids cant really hang onto a jetski. I know I am not going to go out on the water every day, and we are looking at a maximum of once a week, so dont want to spend too much money on it.

I found a 1996 Speedster for $4000 including the trailer. The pictures look overall okay, the some of the seats are ripping, but I believe I read online it is not that hard to replace them.

Of course I am going to try to get someone to check out the boat, but for that price is this a okay purchase? Some comments from the add:

"Runs best with only 3 people but I've had 5 people in it before. Once you're planed off it pulls very hard with quick acceleration. Turns really sharp at high speed! It's like a race car on the water. This boat has a waterski pole and makes a small wake, WATERSKIER DREAM

Comes with a beautiful bimini top for some much needed shade during a long day on the water.

We replaced the jet wear rings. And We pretty much did everything else just short of rebuilding the engines.

I have new vinyl for the seats. Haven't had time to install. There are videos and tutorials online to show how to do it.

Comes with BRAND NEW Nauticus Smart Tab trim tabs. Install these and you will be able to put more weight on the boat and plane off faster. Ideally, these are for a faster hole shot for watersking. Never got around to installing. "

Thank you

The price really depends on the condition so I can't say if that's a good deal or not. So you know it will never be a "water skiers dream" those are called ski nautiques. It would be a good beginner boat for a small family but due to its age it's gonna need some mechanical tlc so if you're not savvy I would find a good Seadoo mechanic to look at it with you. Good luck! :cheers:

THank you.
I actually just found a 2003 speedster for $4400, it has a 4tec engine so it will hopefully be cheaper to maintain. I know there are a lot of fraud/scams posted. Is $4,400 for a 2003 in the fraud level? There is also a sportster for $6,600 same year. Is a sportster worth $2,200 more? They both look like they are in decent condition.

Thank you

That sounds about right on the price but not necessarily cheaper to maintain. There are some things to look out for on the early 4tecs like hollow exhaust valves that can break and really tear stuff up and if it's supercharged every x amount of hours/years the charger needs to be rebuilt and that's about $500 so 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other on that. Based on SBT prices a 787 2 stroke is about $900 and a 4tec is about $3500 so if you have a catastrophic engine failure I would rather have a 2 stroke, however I would never buy an SBT motor just food for thought. Mechanics would be more likely to work on the 4tec tho.

I have a 99 16ft Speedster and with 4 people in it theres not much room. 18ft Challenger is a better buy for you I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back