1996 Seadoo XP cuts off at full throttle after 1 second

asteriodcello

For the last year I've been rebuilding my dads 1996 Seadoo xp that sat for about 15 years, I pulled the 787 motor out of a 97 gtx, I cleaned the fuel tank, and oil tank replaced the MPEM, got new fuel lines, new oil lines, new fuel selector switch and filter, new spark plugs, new impeller, and new metal wear ring. I also rebuilt the carbs with mikuni kit, and tested popoff pressure at 28 for MAG side, and 23 for PTO side I got the ski running and water tested it but the ski would idle fine and I could feel its power surge when pulling the throttle but any time I pulled the throttle 3/4 or full throttle it would surge in power for a second or two then it would die or shut off kind of.

I read that the rectifier could cause weird problems so I unplugged the red wire and retested with no change in results, also cut ends of spark plug wires . I tried to mess with high and low speed screws which also didn't effect it, I tested popoff a second time and got similar numbers. I decided to try to buy aftermarket carburetors from bay area powersports, but they had the same problem with cutting off at Full Throttle, so I returned them, I looked for air leaks in the fuel lines but couldn't find any, and now I'm at a loss for what to do now, should I replace coils? or maybe Dess post, I haven't been getting any beeps from the ski when connecting to Dess post. or could it be a problem with the rave valves or water regulator? there is small pin hole in exhaust plug could that be it? or should I go back to the carbs maybe get genuine OEM carbs to replace? i am really lost any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated I'm only 19 and this is my first ski I've worked on.

Replace the beeper under handlebar cover. (In case of over heat)
Repair pin hole in pipe. (Possibly squirting water getting into carbs)
Sorry no solid answer, have to start somewhere.
Pop off should be as close together as you can get it.

Sounds like it is running out of fuel. Follow Mikidymac’s instructions on how to rebuild your carbs.
(Opening page of 2 stroke section)
Genuine. Mukini kits ONLY.

While your rebuilding the carbs take your rave valves apart and clean inspect them. Its easy and quick to do.

Back