1996 seadoo speedster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daytona20

I am looking at buying a 1996 seadoo speedster. This boat has twin 717 rotax engines in it. At 85 hp each it should have 170 hp total. My question is this. In 1995, 1996, or 1997, seadoo switched over from a single intake to feed both jet pumps to 1 intake for each jet pump. Which year did they make this switch? Did the single intake for 2 jet pumps make a big difference. Was the single intake for the 2 pumps problematic. Just looking at the pros and cons. Also looking at a 1996 seadoo challenger with a single rotax 787 which is much cleaner looking from the pictures and has the rear facing seat as well. The speedster does not have the rear facing seat. Pricing on each boat is good for up here in Canada.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
95 was the last year for the split intake.

The Challeger has a couple cool features. 1) It has a trim system. 2) The rear facing seat. BUT... the 97 speedster also has it.

Even though it has the extra seat... it's still only a 4 passenger boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the 1996 speedster had individual intakes for each jet pump. That was one of the things that I was really concerned about. I was under the impression that the 1996 speedster also had the single intake split between the 2 jet pumps which is why I was leaning away from it and towards the challenger. I had heard and read that the split intake that was used on the 95 speedster was prone to cavitation and had issues with being able to supply both pumps with enough water.

Since it does have the individual intakes I would probably lean towards the higher horespower boat to do some waterskiing behind. Something I just cannot do with the challenger and the 110 hp engine. Would miss the rear facing seat tho. I had read that the front bow seat was a dangerous place for people to sit when the boat is running at higheer speeds due to the possibility of people getting bounced out of the boat in rough water.

Can you think of any reasons as to why I might want to stay away from the speedster and get the challenger instead? Could a speedster with twin rotax 717 engines pull a 250lb man on waterskis and a wakeboard without any difficulty?

The single 720 Sportster in my avatar could pull my 240 Lb but out of the water on a fat board. The twin will be better since it has 2 pumps. (more thrust) But, to be very honest... if you want a "Wake" boat... you need a prop.

As far as the front seat... if people ride up there... they need to hold on. I never lost anyone sitting up front... and actually, my 5 year old loved sitting up there.

I've got the 1997 Sportster 1800 with twin 717's and rear facing front seat. The front seat is nice but hang on in choppy water, your passenger will get a bumpy ride. Being my first non prop boat I don't have any comparisons but the Sportster easily pulls a 200+ pound person behind it on a tube, wake board or skis even though it doesn't have the "out of the hole" jump that my previous propped boat had. I hope this helps..

Martin

i spoke to the guy about the 1996 speedster and he seemed like he was not very forthcoming about the boat plus the both is about 5 hours away and was unwilling to meet me at a half way point. So i gave up on the 1996 speedster and ended up travelling about 2.5 hours to go look at the 1996 Challenger which actually ended up being a 1997 Challenger.

The 1997 Challenger is in very nice shape and very clean on outside. I also have a 1997 GTX with the exact same engine so i am farmilliar with the engine already plus the rotax 787 is one of the best 2 stroke engines they built. Too bad i wont be able to waterski behind it. At least my kids will be able to tube or waterski behind it. Was concerned that it wouldnt rev over 3500 rpm when i was testing it but i learned that when the boat is in neutral it wont rev over 3500. The engine was rebuilt and i am going to have to replace the carbon ring and rubber accordion boot inside the hull tho. While i have the pump off i will probably end up replacing the wear ring as well.

I ended up paying $4200 for the boat which up here in Canada is a good price and is right around what Nada guides says is fair market value in the US. typically to adjust prices for Canada you have to add around 20 to 25 % to the prices for Canadian book values. Plus I saw an advertisement for another 1997 Challenger that had a blown engine and the asking price was $3500 and they got their asking price. I wouldn't have paid it but he got it. Some of the asking prices for these boats in Canada are absolutely crazy.

So can anyone tell me some of the quirky things about these boats? Is there something i should be watching for or pay special atention to?

Don't take offense at the guy not wanting to meet you half way for the 96 speedster! He has the upper hand. The 96 speedster is easily the best (and most affordable) hull you could invest in; so he has the 'supply" factor in his favor. All around... the 96 is bad ass and i prefer not having the 97 reverse facing seat (more deck area to lay on). I even have a spare 96 speedster hull for just in case!

Don't take offense at the guy not wanting to meet you half way for the 96 speedster.......

I second that. Regardless of what the sorry is... I would never meet someone. If they want my boat... they are coming to get it. It's not worth my time to get jerked-off once I spend the time and money to meet someone.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. I really appreciate the advice. As I stated, based on all the available information including pictures features of each boat and conversations with the owners, I ended up getting the 1997 Challenger and passed on the 1996 Speedster.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. I really appreciate the advice. As I stated, based on all the available information including pictures features of each boat and conversations with the owners, I ended up getting the 1997 Challenger and passed on the 1996 Speedster.

pics or it didn't happen

:thumbsup:

GL on boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back