1996 Sea-Doo GTX won't start up. Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusdavis528

I have a 1996 Sea-Doo GTX with a new SBT engine that has never been used on the water. It has about 5 minutes on it. I installed the engine and was able to start and run it while flushing with the garden hose. I turned it off because it was idling too high between 4000/5000 RPMs per the tach gauge and I was going to locate the idle screw and attempt to idle it down. After locating the screw I noticed it was idled about as low as it can go but I have been unable to start the ski since. Water was turned on immediately after starting the ski and turned off immediately after I turned it off.
What I know:
-Emptied gas tank and added new gas.
-All fuel lines replaced.
-Selector has been cleaned and I have confirmed its clear.
-Carburetors were just rebuilt and are getting gas (has been primed)
-Replace spark plugs NGK BR8es and confirmed they are getting plenty of spark. Tested them with the old plugs installed.
-Plugs are very wet with black liquid
-Tried starting by adding fuel to the spark plug holes with no luck.
-Starter has been replaced and is turning the engine with plenty of power.
-I haven’t been able to test for compression yet but seeing as how its brand new I would assume it’s good.

Please help,
Thanks

Chances are that because it was turned off at a high rpm the motor got a little too much extra fuel dumped in. Pull the plugs out and crank it over a few times and see if any excess fuel comes squirting out.

Sounds like your throttle cable needs to be adjusted. The 2 10mm nuts at the end of the cable is your adjustment, they are probably too far out. Adjust those nuts so that the throttle lever on the handle bar has 1/16 inch of pull before you feel any resistance on your thumb. This will back off the carbs against the idle screw.

The throttle adjustment nut is by the red arrow. After adjusting the throttle be sure to adjust the oil pump cable as well.

The adjustment for the oil pump is on the pto side carb. Same thing, 2 10mm nuts will adjust the oil pump to the proper position.

Thanks for your reply. I do know that some fuel/oil spits out when the plugs are removed but at that time I still couldn't get it running. I will try your suggestions and see if I can get her going. I will post results. Thanks again.

Update.
Well I tried to get as much of gas/oil mix out the engine by removing 1 sparkplug at a time and cranking the engine. This did squirt out quite a bit. I also took the carbs off and cranked the engine and a bunch of mix began to pour out. I felt sure I had removed enough to start the engine but it still wouldn't start. The plugs still look pretty wet after attempting to start. I even tried a gas oil mix in the cylinders but it still wouldn't start. I also re-adjusted all my cables on the crabs as described above. Do you have any more suggestions? Thanks again for your help.

Update.
Well I tried to get as much of gas/oil mix out the engine by removing 1 sparkplug at a time and cranking the engine. This did squirt out quite a bit. I also took the carbs off and cranked the engine and a bunch of mix began to poured out. I felt sure I had removed enough to start the engine but it still wouldn't start. The plugs still look pretty wet after attempting to start. I again tried a gas oil mix in the cylinders but it still wouldn't start. Thanks again for your help.

I am having this same exact problem 1994 xp.. Everything you describe is and has happened to me. I rebuilt my carbs reinstalled them and had it running a little rich so I shut it off to adjust it and ever since I can't get it started. Same thing a lot of oil gas mix down the cylinders that I got most of it out. I have brand new plugs, spark, everything. I wish someone here knew what was wrong. It started every single time. It makes no sense. Can someone please help me!

OK,
to make a two stroke run, you need compression, a proper fuel supply and a spark at the correct time. There are lots of little things that can keep this from all coming together into the magical explosion that makes them run. For starters, make sure you have very good ground connections and that all of your electrical connections are secure. A spark does not necessarily mean it is a good strong spark. Make sure the plugs are gapped correctly. (much smaller gap than you get out of the box) If it used to run, then look at what may have changed. If you just did the carbs, perhaps you left out a part of put a gasket in wrong. That could make it start, load up and die if it was getting too much fuel. Make sure fuel is getting to and through the carbs, and you should have fuel returning back to the tank in the return line. (put a clear filter in the return line to watch for fuel going back to the tank.) The supply and return side of the fuel system must work for it to keep running. Make sure the battery is fully charged and in very good condition. They will not start with a weak battery. If compression is good, and the electrical is good, then make sure it is not flooded (pull both plugs, ground them, shut off the fuel, then crank it in 15 second bursts until almost nothing comes out onto a clean cloth. Then fire the plugs back in. Give it a light prime by pouring a teaspoon of gas into the carb(s) and see if it tries to start. If so, then turn the gas back on and work on getting it to fire off the carbs without a prime. Work the basics and report back what you find. Fuel+ compression +spark = SMILE

Thank you for the response soccerdad! I will try all of that tomorrow and report back my outcome. Very helpful information! I appreciate it!

Ok Soccerdad, so I got it running. I took the plugs out gapped them smaller. After shutting the fuel I put a rag over the holes and cranked and a lot of oil and gas came out. Then I put the plugs in and it fired right up. Ever since I rebuilt the carbs the ski don't start as easy anymore. I have to crank it a lot. I use to choke it for 3 seconds it would start. Now it takes forever. I had it just about dialed in seems to be running rich but when I lean it out a little it runs like crap. I took it for a ride and if I feathered the throttle and held it it ran great. I filled the gas tank up and took it for another ride and it did the same thing but it kept stalling WOT. Then I would start it and I would have to feather it to get it going again and same thing WOT stalls. Then it wouldn't start at all. I sat for a little bit and nothing. Cranked it waited n repeated till the battery died and I was staranded. When I got rescued I charged the battery a little and it fired up and stalled. So I just towed it in. I have the battery on charge now. It's brand new. It was my mistake from all the cranking trying to clear the cylinders and getting it running I should have charged it. Lesson learned.

Anyways back to my fuel issue.

I know if it loads up and clears it's rich right? So why when I lean it out slightly it either stalls or when I give it gas it stalls. On land I can't get it to not load up either. Just close and rich. And now this stalling issue. Any help to get me on the water without a tow would be great. You guys are great for all the information thus far!:thumbsup:

I also read snipes carburetor adjustment thread. Very helpful. But like I described. I am stuck. I'm not a pro and just learning. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back