1996 GTX wont go over 35 MPH or over 5500 RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris488994

Hello lookin for some help with my 96 GTX. It is kinda slugish on take off. Not to bad considering its almost a 10 foot boat, but it wont go over 35 MPH with one person on glassy water. RPMs wont go above 5500. I checked the impeller clearance and its at .020 at the widest point. It ran like this all day at the lake and when we were ready to leave the display said 12 volt low, but it started right up and ran fine. Battery is fairly new.

Could this be my rectifier?

How do I do at ohms test on it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Could this be my rectifier?

It could.

How do I do at ohms test on it?

You can't since it also has a regulator built into it.

To check it... start it up, and get the engine to about 5000 rpm. With a meter on the battery terminals, you should see 13.5 to 14.5 volts.

If it's higher, or lower... replace it.

It is a known problem that if you get more voltage than 15 volts... then the CDI will do strange things... and it will cook the battery.

Thank you again. I just checked and before i start it the batt voltage is 13.4 then at idle I'm getting 13.8 and at 5000 I'm getting 14.4 - 14.5. Then when I go back to idle it stays around 14.3.

On the trailer the tach says 7000 rpm. Full throttle.

Could it be my raves? I cleaned them not to long ago.

Thanks for you time and expertise.

Since your regulator checks out... I would say to take the raves apart next. If they are stuck open... or just opening early... you would have a fall off of power.

Thank you for the reply. I checked my raves and they moved pretty freely in the jugs. I took them out and cleaned them all up with carb cleaner and a wire buffing wheel. Checked the bellows and ran a wire through the little passage hole. Everything looks good.

The red adjustments are set flush. Should I adjust them in for a lower power curve?

Could this problem have anything to do with my water regulator?

Thank you for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back