1996 GTX oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

rancher2021

I have two 96 gtx's that seem to run very well. One has a rebuilt engine the other is still original. I seem to go through alot of oil when I run them. There is no oil in the hull showing a leak so I am wondering if this is normal. I have to fill the resevior two or three times if I run them all day. If this is not normal what can I do to fix this issue?

That is not normal. I have the same ski. I fill my oil tank once for about 3-5 tanks of gas.

Is it smoking a lot? I assume you are using the oil injector pump.
Does it happen on both skis?

It does happen on both skiis. The rebuilt one not as often. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of smoke when either of them are running.

That's really excessive. Have you checked to see it the oil pump marks are lined up?

On my xp, I burned half a tank of oil in the last 5 or so tanks. On the gts, it was a gallon for the last 5 tanks...but my oil pump cable came off one day and burned off almost the full reservoir.

oil pump spring 2.jpg....new zip tie and reattached cable.JPG.....oil Pump spring etc 1.jpg....oil pump housing 2.jpg.....oil pump housing 1 - 787.jpg

See these pics. I just redid my oil lines a couple weeks ago.

The line (not the cut out) on the circle part must line up with the line on the "motor stud" ( for lack of proper name).
It's in pic #4 shows it the best. It's the "stud" just above the bolt for the oil pump....it has a "slit" on it....so therefore those 2 lines must match up to be aligned correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that most engine failures are not because of a bad oil pump.... if it does fail, 99.999% of the time goes to full oil.
Most failures are due to lack of maintenance on part of the present or past owners. IE: leaking oil lines, wrong oil, plugged oil filter, too long of plugs, or just an old tired motor, etc

The pump went out in my Yamaha Gp 760. Killed both pistons and a lower rod bearing and crank. I was able to salvage the cylinders without having to bore the sleeves, had a used crank out of a 701 62t motor. Mikuni oil pump was the culprit. I have about 150 hrs on that build and shes still running strong.

The pump went out in my Yamaha Gp 760. Killed both pistons and a lower rod bearing and crank. I was able to salvage the cylinders without having to bore the sleeves, had a used crank out of a 701 62t motor. Mikuni oil pump was the culprit. I have about 150 hrs on that build and shes still running strong.

I'd be more willing to believe the engine looked like lack of oil, because Yamaha said to use TC-w3 oil in a performance engine.

Do you still have that pump?

No it's in the garbage but I had noticed the day I was riding it that the smoke from the exhaust was non existent gradually and 2 hours later the engine came apart...and I was using Yamalube I get it for 22.00 a gal from my dealer if I have my own container

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back