1996 Gtx Bad Bad News Blown ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slickgib

okay here is the deal. a few years ago my cousin was letting someone ride is his 96 gtx sea doo, and the person didnt have the linyard attached and flipped the machine over and was thrown far off it. and it went upside down and ran. after that he said it ever ran again except for started once and died out. this was out on the ocean. so he got it home and was not able to clean it out properly. "this was a few years ago, it sat with salt water in the machine" So i asked my cousin what was going on with it and he just said that he could never get it to fire up. so he let me take it and have a try to find out/tune it up. So last night i got into the motor. here is whats i found. oil resadue on the 1st cylinder so i pulled the coolhead/topend and found lots of salt damage and it looks like one of the gaskets blew out and salt water got into the motor and down into the crankcase and dried up. also the number 1 piston seems to have small amounts of rust that is holding it stuck. the number 2 will vary slightly move side to side. !not up and Down! within tolerance. i cant get the number one free yet. so here is my question

1. should the pistons move freely or does the machine need to be in a nutural possion or osmething like that.

2. what are the things that sit on the top of the cylinders that are spring loaded and what do they do. because the number one cylinder looked like it had alot of oil that spewed out of that.

3. Is it a better idea to just get a new motor or rebuild this one.

please help me out. this isnt my machine it belongs to my cousin. i know about working on atvs but am learning about seadoos

seems like the motore 2 stroke is pretty much the same.

thank you

okay here is the deal. a few years ago my cousin was letting someone ride is his 96 gtx sea doo, and the person didnt have the linyard attached and flipped the machine over and was thrown far off it. and it went upside down and ran. after that he said it ever ran again except for started once and died out. this was out on the ocean. so he got it home and was not able to clean it out properly. "this was a few years ago, it sat with salt water in the machine" So i asked my cousin what was going on with it and he just said that he could never get it to fire up. so he let me take it and have a try to find out/tune it up. So last night i got into the motor. here is whats i found. oil resadue on the 1st cylinder so i pulled the coolhead/topend and found lots of salt damage and it looks like one of the gaskets blew out and salt water got into the motor and down into the crankcase and dried up. also the number 1 piston seems to have small amounts of rust that is holding it stuck. the number 2 will vary slightly move side to side. !not up and Down! within tolerance. i cant get the number one free yet. so here is my question

1. should the pistons move freely or does the machine need to be in a nutural possion or osmething like that.

2. what are the things that sit on the top of the cylinders that are spring loaded and what do they do. because the number one cylinder looked like it had alot of oil that spewed out of that.

3. Is it a better idea to just get a new motor or rebuild this one.

please help me out. this isnt my machine it belongs to my cousin. i know about working on atvs but am learning about seadoos

seems like the motore 2 stroke is pretty much the same.

thank you

I'd get a new motor. The salt will cause so much damage it won't be worth it.

Engine.....

It sounds like you may need to replace the engine, but there are a couple things you can try before you do. You have the heads off so get some Marvel Mystery oil and pour liberally into the piston cylinders. Let it sit, for a few days. Then, on the back, where the shaft comes in to the PTO, take a pipe wrench and put gentle pressure on it to turn counterclockwise. If you get it to turn over, spin it over a few times, pouring the Mystery oil in as you make the revolutions. This way, you'll get oil to your bearings and balance shaft. If not, you'll be getting ready to pull it, strip it down and get a new one. Your motor, with core, to replace will run you about $845 with a one year "no fault" warranty. You have to remove your magneto, carbs, flywheel and other parts including your RAVE's (Rotax adjustable variable exhaust, the little springy things you mention in your post) and other parts.
After ordering the engine, you can wait for it to arrive and just swap the parts over that you have to return with your core.
Good luck!..................:cheers:

okay so that is what i thought is what happened. i didnt give up and kept working on it. i was able to get the piston out of the cylinder finally and when i was able to finally get into the crank case there was zero sign of water / salt damage. i guess what i though was a blown gasket was actually a siezed piston on the first cylinder. the crank runs up and down fine so i am stoked. but here is my new question. now that i freeed up the motor to move again. should the starter be able to turn the crank. i have a fully charged battery and all it does "after the two beeps" is makes a clicking noise in the electrical box next to the battery. also is there anything special i should be looking at to do after one of these siezes. and i know two strokes need to be rebuilt from time to time. but what other things should i check out to do before i put this thing back togeither."after the bore and hone that is". thanks

After rebuilding the top end and reassembling the engine the starter might have a gummed up Bendix in the starter. The starter has a Bendix inside the magneto case that is held on by 2 allen screws. If it is gummed up or seized it won't advance to the flywheel and turn the engine over. Pull off the magneto cover and have a look see. It isn't real easy as the there isn't too much room in front of the cover. Let us know your progress.

Karl

would it be better for me to just pull the starter. it seems to be bolted on with 2 allen bolts also. and is there a fuse pannal in the ski that i have not seen yet. besides everything ive said so far. what else things should i check out before it goes back togeither? thanks

:cheers:

Forgive me if I missed something but you said you are pushing the start button and getting a click in the electrical box.

Have you tested the starter silinoid yet? open the box and jump across the two nuts with the batt cables to it. if the starter turns over then press the start button again and see if it is the silinoid clicking. if so it is bad.

should i press the start button and cross the two nuts? i put a light tester on the possitive side on the starter and it lights up when i press the start button. i have tried crossing the two nuts but nothing happens. just a clicking noise

I checked the wrong engine ...

After rebuilding the top end and reassembling the engine the starter might have a gummed up Bendix in the starter. The starter has a Bendix inside the magneto case that is held on by 2 allen screws. If it is gummed up or seized it won't advance to the flywheel and turn the engine over. Pull off the magneto cover and have a look see. It isn't real easy as the there isn't too much room in front of the cover. Let us know your progress.

Karl

My era...your starter doesn't have the Bendix inside the case. Just take out the 2 allen screws and it should come out of the case. You could spray some Pb blaster or any spray lube to help loosen it up, than tap it with a rubber or wood mallet and it should come out. Be careful not to hit it too hard, just tap it it lightly and it should come out. If you get power to the starter and you hear a clicking sound, with a full charged battery it must be the starter. If you jump across the solenoid and the starter attempts to turn the engine over than it is the solenoid.

the 96b GTX has a 787 motor and the starter is held on by 3 bolts. two at the front and one that bolts to the side of the block( at the rear of the starter). make sure you get all three out.

ok now thaqt i got the starter out. i found that all the electriacl is dead now. i but the linyard in and nothing. whats the deal with that.. is there a fuse or something. when i was removing the startor i started removing the bolts and trying to open the mag cover. also took all the mounting bolts for the motor. would this couse the electrical to go dead?

You need to test the starter now and see if it will spin. Ground the starter and supply the bolt that the wire was on with 12 volts positive. if starter does not spinn it is bad. if starter spins it can still be bad but we will get to that later. good luck Robin :cheers:

i believe the starter ground is the whole machine ground. battery goes to motor and small grounds go to motor. you took the battery out of the circuit.

I got a question when you have head off the motor to get the piston to move should one use the starter or rotate the pto. One piston is down as other is up . Not sure how piston comes out is why i ask

piston comes out of engine by removing the cylinder off top of piston. then remove wrist pin and piston. watch out! if you have non-caged piston bearings you will drop 34 little needle bearings inside crankcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back