1996 gti sea doo is inoperable after 6 or 7 visits to mechanic's shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Horse IV

:facepalm:

I'm interested and appreciate everyone's opinion. I'd like to hear from the members that are familiar with the history on my Sea Doo 1996 GTI from the start of this saga to where I am now. I appreciate all post. [COLOR="#4B0082" The owner of the shop (installed oil block after locking up my engine) is aware of my last attempt to launch. I am going to contact him this afternoon. I have respectfully texted him telling him I have a suggestion that I believe is more than fair to put this baby to bed. I will not be taking my Sea Doo back. The only reason I continued to do business was to give them the opportunity at no additional cost to get the job done after having already spent ($1002.00). [COLOR="#000000"] My Sea Doo has been in their possession from July 2, 2013 through August 30th, 2013 with the exception of my launches and back to the shop with inoperable Sea Doo. [/COLOR] I am left owning a Sea Doo that initially needed a carburetor rebuild and now have a Sea Doo with a modified engine that was locked up on one of thier alleged successful launches. It's a mess.

Labor Day Weekend.. Sea Doo was Delivered to me at lake (yes delivered! They said they feel bad and have been nothing but nice). I spent 3 hours detailing my Sea Doo from head to toe until the sun went down Friday night. I take good care of my stuff and the Doo was pretty dirty from being in the shop. For starters it would not start (brand new battery). I grabbed my jump box and she fired right up. I was feeling pretty good about things and pushed the trottle. there was a little hesitation and then we took off really fast. The thrill was short lived. The Sea Doo did not want to start. It sounds like a dry hard clicking. I would float for a while and then choke it and luckily got it started again. I had someone following me in case I needed to get towed back to dock. In order to make it back to the dock I had to constantly play with the throttle to make it go. The battery light stayed on. And, like I said I just purchased a marine battery that works great. REMEMBER FORUM MEMBERS, I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY SEA DOO STARTING, DYING OR THE ENGINE.

OKAY THIS IS WHERE I AM...I'm finished with this shop. Super nice guys who obviously are not getting the job done. THE LEAK THEY CAUSED HAS BEEN FIXED ON A GOOD NOTE. I was told the owner put all new seals on entire sea doo from
head to toe. THE SEA DOO WAS DRY AS A BONE ON THE INSIDE :hurray::hurray:.

Two reputable mechanics have been mentioned. One nearby and the other in Indiana. (Also, I haven't forgotten about Lou Doo in the event he's interested)??

I've had lots of people offering advice on what they would do where this shop is concerned. And, I've come up with a few of my own ideas. REMEMBER THE SHOP VERBALLY TOLD MY NEIGHBOR THEY WILL REIMBURSE MY MONEY ($1002.00). I put this in writting the last time I left the shop which has not been disputed OR discussed since.

If the shop reimburses me, I'm still not feeling good about things. Remember my engine was new (not under warranty). This is not the same Sea Doo. I now have a modified (oil block) Sea Doo that doesn't want to start and obviously is still not working. I brought them a Sea Doo that needed a carburetor rebuild. I REALIZE MY SEA DOO IS NOT NEW.. SO, I'M TRYING THE BEST I CAN TO BE FAIR MINDED.

A FEW POSITIVES...THE SEA DOO IS BONE DRY/ NO MORE LEAKS, THE SEA DOO HAS ALL NEW SEALS, NEW IMPELLOR, HOUSING UNIT AND WEAR RING. THE SEA DOO LOOKS REALLY GOOD (AFTER MY RECENT DETAIL). HOWEVER, MY SEA DOO DOES NOT WORK.

YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE?THIS IS WHERE I AM RIGHT NOW??? CALLING SHOP AROUND 2:00 P.M.

OPTION #1. I AM GOING TO ASK THEM TO BUY MY SEA DOO AND REIMBURSE ME FOR 100% OF MY MONEY. THEY HAVE HAD IT THE ENTIRE SUMMER AND FOR WHATEVER REASON CANNOT GET THE JOB DONE. i'LL TAKE KELLY BLUE BOOK PLUS 1002.00. THEY CAN FLIP IT WHEN THEY FIX IT AND I START LOOKING FOR ANOTHER SEA DOO (WITH SOME HELP). i WALK AWAY WITH NO HARD FEELINGS.

OPTION #2. I WANT A NEW CRATED ENGINE ORDERED LEFT IN CRATE/BOX WITH RECIEPT AND WARRANTY AND $800.00 FOR INSTALLATION CHARGES WITH ANOTHER MECHANIC. I WALK AWAY WITH NO HARDS FEELINGS

OPTION #3. BEST TO HOPE FOR IS GETTING MY $1002.00 BACK. I KNOW NEW PARTS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED SO ONWARD TO A REPUTABLE MECHANIC?? HOWEVER, WITH OPTION #3 MY LIPS ARE NOT SEALED. AND, EVERY SEA DOO OWNER OR PWC PERSON I HAVE CONTACT WITH WILL BE WARNED ABOUT THIS SHOP.

ANYONES THOUGHTS? THANKS SO MUCH!

Picture of my sea doo 1996 gti

please see the attached picture.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Labor Day Weekend 2013.jpg
    Labor Day Weekend 2013.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 45
i think your best best is option 3, it would be awesome if they did 1 or 2, but doesn't sound likely in my opinion

Do me a favor. Get a meter on the battery and tell me the voltage. And then again while the engine is cranking.

Yes I know it's new, but your newest complaints can all be voltage driven.

Once it is running, what is the charging volts at idle and when revved up.

The MPEM stops working properly at 10.5 volts causing the ski to not run or run in weird ways.

This plus the low batt light all points to a voltage concern.

So humor me.

So they never bothered to test drive it? You would think after all that mess that they would beat the snot out of it before they gave it back to you. I think they just keep hoping that you'll go away.

Thanks Nammer. I'm not a mean spirited person. However, this is business. It's been a disaster. This shop is on the main bypass in a lake town. I will let you know what happens. I hope they do the right thing.

Coastie Joe. My Sea Doo is at the lake in the event they entertain option #1. It's covered and locked up until I get back on Friday. I will humor you and do these test on Friday and report back if I still own it/lol. It is a nice Sea Doo. And, it does have several new parts and seals. Assuming I get an answer from the shop owner today, I will post where we are? I know they feel resposible so we will see what they are willing to do. Remember the owner even offered his Sea Doo until he had my fixed. I did not go this route although it was super tempting. I forgot option #4 maybe someone will steal it... only kidding folks. Seriously only kidding...

Thanks Coastie Joe.

That was my demeanor after visit 4 when they locked up my engine on a test drive. I'm sure the owner had never been cussed like that. I apologized the next day and it's been onward on a positive note. We are at the end of the road. I really want to leave on a positive note. So, the balls in their court. They have a new business to run that's located right on the bypass. If I were in their shoes I'd cut my losses and buy this lady's Sea Doo, fix it right and flip it. We will see? Thank you.

They have no idea how determined and stubborn I can be. He said he didn't have time to test drive it when he dropped it off. He said he didn't want me to miss another holiday weekend. Keep in mind I didn't rush them. I told them to call me when it's fixed. I am a very principled person. So, if they treat me right I'll walk away end of story.

But, yes one would think after this headache they would have test drove it to save some embarassment yet again.... Stay tuned.... I'll keep those interested posted. It's a story that PWC owners can appreciate. I'm still glad I purchased it. And, I'm not getting out of the Sea Doo hobby.

Your funny pointhunter75. Glad you found the link. Yes I did loose it on one occassion cussing like white trash. It's been an ordeal bringing out the worse in me on that one occassion.

Coastie Joe. My Sea Doo is at the lake in the event they entertain option #1. It's covered and locked up until I get back on Friday. I will humor you and do these test on Friday and report back if I still own it/lol. It is a nice Sea Doo. And, it does have several new parts and seals. Assuming I get an answer from the shop owner today, I will post where we are? I know they feel resposible so we will see what they are willing to do. Remember the owner even offered his Sea Doo until he had my fixed. I did not go this route although it was super tempting. I forgot option #4 maybe someone will steal it... only kidding folks. Seriously only kidding...

Thanks Coastie Joe.
Sounds good,,, hope it works out for you.

This is an ongoing nightmare!!! A few months ago Nam made a post along the lines of "The Biggest Seadoo Fail Ever". I think you've got him beat!!! This cannot be that difficult to remedy.

If you could get the dealer to go with either option 1 or 2 I would say their hearts in the right place, but they are just not competent with that type of work. All you'd be out was a summer of enjoyment in exchange for a summer if frustration. I wish Lou (or any of us) were closer and could take a look at your machine first hand. Start with square 1..... Visual inspection and compression test. Check the battery as Joe has suggested. Water test. If all isn't good, go through the carbs. This isn't rocket science. It shouldn't take 2 months and still be nowhere.

Firstly I feel for you with all the problems that you had. I like to have my toys ready to go and having them at the shop would drive me nuts. I am not so sure that you can blame the engine locking up on the shop. It could have been they were the unfortunate ones riding it when it locked up. But they did fix it, and for that I give them credit. They also managed to fix your leaks which is also a good thing.
Now they should have water tested it before giving it back to you, and there is no excuse not to. It does seem like your problem is electrical, and it makes me woncer if it is something as simple as a voltage regulator gone bad. There is an easy way to test that, start your ski and measure the AC voltage.
Regarding your options, I highly doubt that they would buy your ski. Your best chance maybe getting your money back but I am unsure they would do that either. I would insist that their mechanic come to the lake with the tools and some parts, which would include a voltage regulator and fix your ski. But if they do offer a refund, I definitely would take it and get the ski fixed elsewhere.

Good luck!!!

Do me a favor. Get a meter on the battery and tell me the voltage. And then again while the engine is cranking.

Yes I know it's new, but your newest complaints can all be voltage driven.

Once it is running, what is the charging volts at idle and when revved up.

The MPEM stops working properly at 10.5 volts causing the ski to not run or run in weird ways.

This plus the low batt light all points to a voltage concern.

So humor me.

I'm ALL over this !

do that....

i read the first two paragraphs, and i thought, hmmm, "battery"

lastly, i'd say 1,2,3 unlikely. (for 1,2, my nice way of saying fat chance) At best if your lucky, some to most of #3.

96 gti retail is probably about $850sh at best or am i wrong there ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Coastie Joe, El Toro and Robj: Well I just made my pitch. He was very nice as always. I ran through a brief (yes I can be brief) history of what I brought to him and now 6/7 visits later what we now have referring to the modified motor and a ski that doesn't want to start. We agreed this is not personal but business. I thanked him for being so nice along the way... I explained that I had three suggestions starting with 1, 2 and 3. He understands my frustration. At this point, there is a part of me that hates to get rid of it. We have replaced a lot of things (new wear ring, new housing unit, new impellor, new oil block (not that I wanted it). I agree how much longer can this saga go on. I can't imagine the fix not being within range with the right mechanic. And, when it is fixed we've eliminated a lot of the normal problematic parts that usually cause trouble. I'll let you'll know on this link what happens. Thank you so much for all of your support along the way.

p.s. I have my oil measuring cup/with lid/lol and I ordered some nice handle bar covers made of neophrene. My Sea Doo is so clean including the front compartment. It really looks good. I was going to order the material to have seat done this week if it was fixed. Seat cover will have to wait.

Responding to the Irishman. I am confident he will agree on #3. And, I promise I will do the battery voltage thing-a-ma-jig upon my arrival on Friday. I know the fix has to be in range. I know nothing about engines but understand this can't be rocket science. I also understand that the engine thing could have happened to someone else. However, most mechanics know what causes an engine to lock up. someone on the forum said something like I hope they don't do this.... locking up the engine.. And, that's exactly what happened next.

I really appreciate all of your help along the way. And, if they agree to my terms I told my daughter we may throw in blizzards once a month for the rest of the year/lol/had to be reading this link a long time ago to understand that proposition.

I know you're looking for options.
i really do think you should check out the battery before you give up.

It may be the only problem at this point, it might be worth looking into.

As you have mentioned, at this point everything Is in fantastic shape it's nothing more than a battery.

That said, I do think you have a charging issue but again this is minor.

You did add oil to the fuel already in the tank? Just asking since your pump was removed and I guess you had some fuel already in the tank that now needed some oil mixed in.

the op said you grabed your jump box..

For starters it would not start(brand new battery). I grabbed my jump box and she fired right up

please tell me you did not jump it in the ski. that could be your whole problem....

A jump box or battery booster pack should not fry the mpem, since it is only another battery. The problem is when you jump from a running vehicle because the alternator is putting out in excess of 14 volts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a battery charger with a boost setting and a jump box for emergency jumps and both would fry my rectifier/regulator easily according to the settings. just my two cents.

got a super busy morning but wanted to respond to all. And, as always thanks! (Coastie Joe, IKnowaFatMan, Robj and Spimothy Leary)

1. Yes Gas and Oil already mixed 40/1 with new gas and new oil... come on guys give me a little credit... Oil Block ='s mixing gas & oil.

2. Yes I was on the Sea Doo when I jumped it. I thought this was the purpose of carrying a jump box with you in case your ever get stranded. I would never jump using an automobile. Hell I was nervous enough sitting on the Sea Doo balancing jump box and all.

3. Yes I am thinking about the fact that if it is a "voltage/battery issue" it may be worth my while to keep Sea Doo having paid for so many new parts up to this point.

4. Thanks Fellas.. You guys are great.. My handlebar covers arrived in the mail. I'm laughing because my Sea doo really does look good. She doesn't run... Patience Patience Patience...

5. I'll let you guys know if I hear from the owner today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back