1995 speedster taking on water

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcalibear

I just bought my 1995 speedster this summer (my first boat) and was able to get it out on the water twice.

I'm not familiar with how to describe certain areas/parts of the boat but here's what I have.

On my first trip out, I went to the center floor storage compartment to get ropes to tie off at the dock and it was about half way full of water. I turned on the bilge pump switch and it pumped most of it out while I went to get my trailer. I didn't check the engine compartment to see if there was water inside. I had to come in slowly 5-10 mpg for quite a ways since a cavitation issue hit on one engine (fixed with a new wear ring and neoprene seal).

On my second trip out, I checked the storage compartment and engine compartment while I was out on the water and both stayed dry. I tied off at the dock to get the trailer and when I came back to boat the storage compartment was again full of water (I didn't check the engine compartment.) I pulled it out of the water and took the drain plugs but no water came out and the water was still in the storage area. I turned on the bilge pump and it drained it. I checked the engine compartment only after I had turned on the pump and it had small pools of water but not the amount in the storage area (may have been pumped out before I looked.)

Any idea where the water is coming in from to get in the storage compartment (seals, valves, etc) ? Are the engine and storage compartment connected so water can go from one to the other?

Is there a reason why it stayed dry while moving and filled up after I shut off the engines?

Why wouldn't the water drain as I pulled it up the ramp and pulled the plugs?

I appreciate any help. Pictures or word descriptions of where parts are or what they look like would be great.

Thanks in advance.

how are your carbon rings? if they are not sitting perfect or are not flat, you will leak water. trust me i know, i had that happen with my boat.

why dont you just put the boat in the water and open the engine compartment just to see where the water is coming in? that might be your best bet, i also had to do this, just to see where i had a leak going on.

underneath the floor, there are special holes that allow any water that enters the storage area to drain towards the back of the boat and vice versa. Im not sure where you are leaking, but you have a serious leak that could be from your pump, a connector, a loose/broken hose, or something else. the reason why you are not draining when you put the boat on the trailer is because the boat is horizontal, i bet if you lift the trailer all the way up, it should drain. When i lift my boat to the max on the trailer, it drains 95% of any water out, then i use the bilge to get the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a reason why it stayed dry while moving and filled up after I shut off the engines?

While the boat is moving, the bow is higher than the stern and water will flow to the rear. While not moving, you boat is more level, allowing the water to sit forward more.

It sounds like it to me, you were taking on water while you were running and just didn't notice it until you stopped. If I were you, I would be looking for that water coming in and not "enjoying" the boat until you find and correct the leak.

Put the boat in the water and inspect it at the dock and check for water coming in while not moving. Sit there for 15-20 min and continue to look. If nothing is coming in while sitting there, take it out for a ride. Have someone else drive while you inspect all areas, particularly in the engine compartment and around the driveshaft (Be careful of moving parts!). Also, have your driver start and stop the boats forward motion several times while you inspect to see if water rushes in.

Good Luck!

Why wouldn't the water drain as I pulled it up the ramp and pulled the plugs?

Are you pulling the plugs while still on the boat ramp? The way I do it, is when I load on the trailer, I pull up enough just to get my trailer out of the water, get out of my tow vehicle and pull my bilge plugs. I am still on the ramp so, all of the water will drain to the back and out the plugs. Once I get all the water out, I pull to the parking area and finish packing up/stowing gear.

Another Trick

You can also put water into the boat (opposite of boat in water) with a hose (on the trailer) and see if its coming out somewhere - but dont get it above the bottom of the engines.

I suspect its the scupper valve on the right rear - West marine or Overtons can probably get you a new one.

A small amount of water in the ski locker is normal, but not more than 1/2 inch after 2 hours of running.

If it was the scupper valve you would see the water coming into the cabin and then it may drain down into the ski locker. You would notice that.

Sounds like the boat is getting water in somewhere. Just a process of elimination to find where. Carbon seal may be the issue, but it would be noticeable with cavitation. I would get the boat in the water and open the ski locker and engine compartment and poke around till you find it.

Like someone else said, when the boat is on plane, the water is going back to the engine compartment where it is pumped out.

Make sure you dont have crud on the inside of the bilge area plugging up the drain holes.

Exhaust bellows

Check that your exhaust bellows aren't cracked. This will allow water into engine compartment and into the storage compartment when docked.

Thanks for the tips, hopefully I can track it down quickly.

Carbon seal? Where would that be or is there another name for it. I looked at the micro fiche parts list for my boat and I didn't see any part named carbon seal.

Now I did forget to mention...when I replaced the one wear ring, about 1/4 of the neoprene seal between the pump housing and boat was gone (which I replaced). Is it possible that if the one on the other engine is in the same shape water may be coming in there?

Lastly, the water looked white/milky in the storage locker and when it was being pumped out...maybe that indicates something?

Carbon Ring (Seal)

For what it's worth... here's a LINK to when I replaced my carbon and stainless rings, along with valuable advice from forum members. There are pics there to show you what the parts are. The carbon ring and stainless ring, along with a rubber boot, form the seal where the impeller shaft goes from the engine to the impeller (these are inside the engine compartment). The carbon seal is the part that the rubber boot gets clamped to. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct....

95 speedsters don't have carbon seals... :)

Put the boat in the water and look for the water coming in...

This is true. You have a shaft bearing with a double lip seal that may be leaking on you. With the age of the boat, if its never been replaced, I'd say it's time.

You can also try to put some grease in it. The bearing and double lip seal system uses grease to lub the bearing, but also uses that grease to keep water from coming in through the seal........

But, back the boat in the water, with it on the trailer, open the engine compartment and look around.

You also have a rubber expansion boot on the exhaust that could be rotted and torn. Leaking water in. I don't see it in your parts diagram, but that is where I had water coming in on my Challenger...... but, back it in, look for it. That's the best way to find it.......:cheers:

What he said....

Ya, what Snipe said....that's what I meant.....not exhaust bellows like I said up above.......the rubber expansion boot on the exhaust ......happened on my Challenger.

on the stern of the boat on the right there is a one way valve that water drains out of if it is not funtioning correctly water will slowly leak in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back