1995 SeaDoo GTX Runs Rough and Dies After Starting

DBecker504

Coming here in hopes that someone can offer some guidance as other pages and searches have come up with nothing.

I bought two 1995 SeaDoo GTXs that had been sitting. We got them running and took them out on the water and everything was good. It ran great, made good power, started instantly, and had no issues the whole ride. We got back to the dock and parked it to go get the trailer. When we came back 5 minutes later, it started, ran really rough and died. It seemed like it wasn't getting fuel or was only running on one cylinder. It'll start immediately, but it won't idle and throttle/choke inputs just make it die faster. It'll usually run very rough for 3-5 seconds before dying. It continued to do this no matter what we tried so we winched it onto the trailer and went home.

After getting home I went to town trying to diagnose it. The following list contains what was done:
- Compression checked at about 140 on both jugs while cold
- Spark plugs replaced, but old plugs look good
- Water separator replaced
- Carbs rebuilt with genuine Mikuni parts and set to factory SeaDoo specs
- New fuel lines (J30R7 fuel injection hoses throughout)
- New fuel selector valve
- Fuel tank was discovered to be cracked completely at the pickup, so it was repaired, cleaned, and checked for leaks
- New rectifier that was confirmed to work on another ski
- Fuel vents checked and both are working correctly
- Fuel system checked for air leaks and none were found. Fuel flows out of feed line when blowing through the return line
- Spark is bright blue, consistent and strong on both plugs
- Tried spraying premixed fuel directly into the carbs with no change in running

I have tried everything I've come across or can think of with no success. Like I said, the ski was running perfectly all the way up until we shut it off at the dock. Then it never wanted to run again. I'm at a complete loss and short of throwing a lot more time and money at it, am out of ideas. Any other suggestions? Any help is appreciated!

Nevermind I solved it. It was a poorly installed start/stop switch. The ground wasn't making good connection where the PO crimped it so it was trying to shut itself off. I found the issue by removing the black/red stripe wire going from the MPEM to the coil and started the ski and it ran perfectly. From there I knew it was a killswitch issue so I just traced the wires back until I found the issue. It was hiding behind a lot of electrical tape shoved down the steering stem.

Hopefully this will help someone out in the future!

Back