1995 Sea Doo SPX - Starter Starts When Connecting Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunInSun

I purchased this PWC earlier this summer. Over the course of a month the new battery appeared to get weaker, so I charged it. When I try to connect the battery cables, the starter kicks in and tries to start the engine. Even thought I am not touching the start/stop button on the handle bar and the digital security fob is not plug in. While I am mechanically capable, this is my first PWC. Any suggestions on how to diagnose the problem? Thank you.

I checked the solenoid and it had continuity (was stoke closed), so I bought and installed a new one. Unfortunately, the problem remains. I noticed that I can connect the battery cables without the starter firing up as long as I don't plug the cable from the elctrican box into the magneto. Any suggestions on what to check next would be appreciated. Thank you.

Check the start stop button too... it may be stuck closed (should be open). Although that shouldn't try to start if safety lanyard isn't on.

I'd check them both just to see... i think it's a weather pack connector you can undo and check with multi-meter.

It may be that the starter solenoid was stuck closed because it was recieving a signal from somewhere that imitated the start button being pushed and the lanyard on... maybe you hooked a connection wrong and one that is normally closed got connected rather than the two that are normally open? See if the wire colors match on the ones coming out of the lanyard and start/stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back