1995 HX Cavitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpaquett

Hello Sea-Doo Forums! Many year lurker, first time poster because I am at my wits end with one of my skis.

I have two skis that I absolutely adore and have owned both since new. One is a 1995 HX and the other is a 1996 GSX. I am having a serious cavitation issue with the HX. I took it in to a shop last year and $800 later, it still has the same problem. They replaced the impeller and wear ring and fixed a hole in the exhaust pipe (which I have since replaced since I discovered a large crack in it). I have vowed to do all my own repairs from here on out. The ski is easy to start and runs very strong. It cavitates so bad from a dead stop that it is impossible to get up and riding in deep water. Once it gets to plane, it is completely fine and runs like a champ. I have pulled the pump entirely out and have narrowed the problem to several possibilities. I think the air is getting into the pump from one of the following places:

A) The shaft seal (I did lock it up a few years ago but grease brought it back to life). I also think it could be this because I am now seeing excessive water in the hull.
B) There is no seal or silicon whatsoever between the pump and the hull.
C) There is no sealant between the two halfs of the pump.

The impeller and wear ring are new and look fine. Not so much as a scratch. Right now, I am leaning towards the shaft seal being the primary culprit but I have little experience with such things. I have the pump completely off but I don’t know how to remove the shaft and replace the shaft seal. I can’t even figure out what parts to order to do this job so I thought I would turn to the forum for advice first.

I have owned these skis for sixteen and seventeen years and they get a lot of use at Shasta Lake in northern California. My kids love them and it is very frustrating that the HX still has this problem after such a costly repair.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

MP/Northern CA

Welcome,

Since you said the seal seized... I'm going to say that is where your problem is. When it had an issue... it could have cracked the fitting in the hull... it could have ripped the boot a little... and if nothing else... I'm sure the actual seals are gone. (rust and heat would have done it), and if the bearing is warn... the seals won't be centered... and that will alow air to pass. Since you brought it back to life... hopefully the drive shaft is still OK.

As far as RTV around the pump... there shouldn't be any... but there should be a neoprene gasket between the pump, and the ride shoe. If that's missing... then yes... the cavitation will be as bad as you are saying. THe only place there should be a sealant is around the cooling nipple.

My advice is to rebuild the seal pack with OEM parts... check the boot and hull fitting... then put it back together with a new neoprene pump seal.

When you put the seal together... make sure you glue the seals in place, and you put them in... in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1 Sounds like you shoe isn't fully sealed
#2 no foam ring on the pump is gone or never there
#3 do you have an intake grate
#4 bearings are going on the pump

Thank you for the responses. I am going to attempt to replace the shaft seal and all bearings. A little more info if it helps. It was at least eight years ago that the rear shaft seal got so low on grease that the motor would not turn. The ski has been flawless and problem free until late last summer. I will try to post some pictures this weekend to get to the bottom of some of the other points made. Does anyone know if there was a change in the HX driveline between 95 and 96? All I have is a 96 manual and it does not show the grease fitting under the rear access hatch. It only shows the one near the motor in the drive shaft. The ski is stock. Also, where is the best place to get parts and can anyone offer any insight on what to expect with this job? I would also like to know more about the carbon ring set up mentioned above. Again, thank you all for the responses. It is greatly appreciated. This has been the single most frustrating issue I have ever had with this ski. Have a good evening all.

-MP/Northern CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back