1995 GTX starter clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzitkus

First, thanks for hosting such a great forum. I am thrilled with being a member and grateful to all those who have helped the SeaDoo community.

I will admit that I have not become familiar enough with the site to conclude that I have done a full, exhaustive search on my problem before posting... (nobody likes re-posting of a problem already solved.... I get it) I have done a fair amount of searching for my problem, and still have a question I hope you all can guide me on.

I have a 1995 GTX 650 that I love. Bought it new. Put a new motor in last year from SBT, as well as carb rebuild kits.

Even before the new motor was put in, my start button frequently "clicked" awhile before it engaged and the motor eventually started. After the new motor was put in, it ran fine for about 50 hours, and the clicking started again. I did not expect the clicking problem to be solved with the new motor, but I thought I would give you that background.

It came to the point where I could not just continue trying the starter button to overcome the clicking. I replaced the selenoid and the ski ran for about 5 hours. Then the problem re-appeared, and it would not start. I replaced the selenoid again, but it would not start, and that is the state I am in now.

I took the two hot wires off the selenoid and crossed them to each other to see if the starter motor would turn over, and it did not. So, my question, is that enough to suggest that I should take out the starter motor and have it tested and perhaps replaced? Or is my troubleshooting inconclusive, and I should do more?

I will search the forum to see how to remove the starter if I need to.

thank you kindly for your experiences and advice.

Starters themselves don't normally "click" per say. A solenoid does for example. However, if the bendix is traveling very slow and not engaging as it should that would likely sound like a click.

By touching the wires you basically jumped (eliminated) the solenoid. Future reference you can do the same thing by jumping the terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver or pliers. This could be a cause and effect thing. We know your starter is not doing the job it is designed to do. However, we don;t know why.

I would suggest you get the battery load tested as it could have a poor or dead cell in it. Seadoo starters MUST have good volts and good amperage. If the battery tests good. You could run a QUALITY jumper wire from the battery to the starter to see what it does. This will basically test the starter once you KNOW you have a good battery. If it cranks, then the cables in between are bad or they have a poor connection.

I like to tell most to get a meter and test the battery volts while cranking, the the hot side of the solenoid, then the output side, than at the starter (all while cranking). But,,, yours isn't cranking so I don;t think this would be a valid test for you.

In a nutshell. Could be a battery, wires, connection or starter.. Got to start with the battery...

Great advice. If it turns out to be the starter, and your starter is still OEM, keep it and rebuild it. The aftermarket starters are crap out of the box.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back