1995 GTX Exhaust Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

taceyburd

I have a 1995 GTX, I have tried many things to keep my bolts to the exhaust from wiggling off or even breaking. We have tried lock tight and other misc. applications to hold it tight. When one breaks or comes out then water fills the bike. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any ideas?:confused:

I'm currently fixing the same problem.

1. Check the motor mounts on the exhaust side of the engine by pulling the engine side to side. If it moves, the mounts let go and the #4 bolts took all the stress.

2. Check the rubber gromets that hold the expansion chamber on. That also can stress the exhaust bolts.

In my case the mounts went, and the motor surged. The gromets also went.
and the exhuast bolts broke. I found a used manifold,and ordered the rest of the parts

Good luck.

I agree with Tom.

Try to find what is vibration them so hard, or breaking htem loose. Again, I agree with tom. Try that and see what happens.

Safety wire

Try using safety wire on the culprits. It initially adds a little time drilling a hole in the bolt or nut but after that it's really easy and works great. Don't need the fancy twister pliars, a small needle nose vise grip works great. cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back