1994 XP Engine wont completely turn over

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevlh20

Hey guys, yall have been TONS of help with my many problems/projects so here we go with another one. I got a 1994 XP with the 650 engine for like $300 the guy just wanted to get rid of it. I took it home and it never fired up but sputtered then quit turning over it would only turn 1/2 the way and stop. I pulled the pump off and took off the top end. In the crank case there are pretty big metal shavings. Still I can turn by hand only about a half revolution and back it up. It just wont turn a whole revolution. What could cause this? A bent crank shaft?

Motors wasted...

If you see metal shavings and you can only spin the motor over half way, then it does sound like you have some major damage in the crank/conneting rod area. What do your cylinder walls look like? Are they scared up pretty bad...............non the less, metal shavings aren't a good sign.

Bottom end

You may as well pull the bottom end because with it locked and the presence of metal shavings, you got a major engine problem.

Depending on what you want to do with the seadoo, You might think about just swapping out the motor for a re-conditioned one and save yourself a bunch of money and aggravation.
Karl

I found the problem. The metal sham on the oil pump was bent so it was catching the holes for the oil inlet.

The metal SHAM...what the heck is that? I'm glad you found the problem...uh I think...SHAM...???:ack:

lol thats what someone else called it. I'm really not sure what its called. It's a semi circle thin metal piece that fits on the gear of the oil pump

lol thats what someone else called it. I'm really not sure what its called. It's a semi circle thin metal piece that fits on the gear of the oil pump

it kinda sounds like the snap ring, is it almost a full circle with two holes on each end?

Parts list....

I have looked trying to find a parts list for this pump but can't seem to find one.
If this is the source of your oil shavings and the reason you could only spin the engine over to a certain point before it locked, then I'd think about blocking off the oil pump and go with a premix to your gas tank. You wouldn't want to take the chance of something coming apart in there and blowing your engine!........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back