1994 XP and 1995 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

shifty72

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little tech help. I just got 1994 and 1995 Seadoo XP's and a 1995 Seadoo SP recently, have run them all for multiple hours with no issues, and had both XP's quit at the lake today exactly the same way. Also had the SP do something really weird for the second time today. Any help or advice is VERY GREATLY APPRECIATED. Here's a little background on the skis:

1994 Seadoo XP - Recently had all of the fuel lines professionally replaced and the carbs cleaned at the same time. I had a little trouble starting this ski, in fact, the starting drill has been to hold it at full throttle and press the start button, it would crank for 5-10 seconds, then slowly take off and run very strong. So before today, other than the difficulty starting it, it ran great once it started. Today, after running through a full tank of gas and running well, it died a couple of times, before quitting entirely and refusing to start. I pulled the new plugs and they had carbon on them, so I cleaned them and replaced them and it still wouldn't start.

1995 Seadoo XP - This ski sat for 4 years, and when I put in new plugs, fresh gas and oil, and fired it up, it ran very well, started easily, and had no issues. After about 4 hours of use, today it just shut down while I was riding and refused to start again. I cleaned the plugs, which had been recently replaced, and it still would not start. When I choked it, it kinda acted like it was going to start but never did.

1995 Seadoo SP - This on ehas me baffled. The last 2 times I took it out, right after I dropped it in the water, it would get on plane, then bog down, and run very slowly at low RPM's when at full throttle. I could let off, wait a second, hammer the throttle, and it would take off, then low RPM's again. Both times, I took the ski out of the water on the trailer, started it for just a second, then put it back in the water, and it ran great the rest of the day. The only thing I can think of is that possibly the fuel selector is bad.

Today, I rode these XP's at a lake that has a sandbar, and was beaching them on the sandbar when they were not being ridden. The engines were shut off prior to beaching, so I don't believe and sand was sucked up into the intake, but I'm wondering if it's possible that something about beaching them caused them both to quit exactly the same way within an hour of one another, after previously running fine. It's unlikely because I did the same thing with the SP and it was great. Any help very much appreciated, thanks.

George

Sounds like the all might be starving for fuel.
Carbs, fuel strainers and on off valves are common items in this scenario.

Save yourself some big problems and clean out the entire fuel system. A lot of threads here on this. The carbon plugs typically indicate rich running which could be several things in the carb: pop-off, needles/seats as a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back